Deciding between 4.5inch Lifts - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Deciding between 4.5inch Lifts
DBOR 4.5 Inch 8 26.67%
AEV Premium 4.5 Inch lift 8 26.67%
Other 5 16.67%
Bacon 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Deciding between 4.5inch Lifts

Hello all,
I am deciding between the DBOR 4.5inch Tourer Plus kit,
http://www.doubleblackoffroad.com/je...-Plus-Kit.aspx
or the AEV JK Premium 4.5inch Lift
http://www.jeepkonection.com.au/aev-...ift-kit-4-door

Both seem to have some pretty good write ups on them but the AEV is about a grand more.

Anyone out there that has compared the two or is running one of these setups?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 04-01-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Would not bother to buy anything of DBO, they guy running the place has not got a clue what he is doing and certainly has no idea about the products/brands he sells or what is available from companies that supply them. JPK actually seem to know what they are doing (most of the time) and AEV have developed the kit they sell were on the other hand DBO just put together a kit based on what their wholesaler told them to sell.

As for the kits they both seem to compromise on one thing to add/allow more for another, you would be better off using the packs as a guide and buying the parts you need/want separately, ie. get the synergy springs and combine them with remote reservoir shocks (I would go fox rr shocks myself), the AEV high steer kit... etc etc

my 2c
Old 04-01-2016
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

I have bought heaps from DBOR and have found their knowledge and service to be excellent. I run the PPM suspension lift from DBOR and has been very good, AEV has a good reputation also but IMO they are overpriced compared to comparable kits.
Old 04-01-2016
WELDING RODS FOR STEERING

Liked 224 Times in 128 Posts
Default Deciding between 4.5inch Lifts

If you're going with either of those kits, I would personally go for a smaller lift. If you're deadset on that height, do yourself a favour and get a kit that gives you adjustable lowers up front to dial in caster. At 4.5" be prepared to spend more money on additional items such as shock brackets, driveshaft etc. I really think at 4.5" you should be think brake lines instead of brackets. Even at 3", you will want to consider a new driveshaft in the near future.

I have bought heaps from DBOR (and others) over the last few months, and I wouldn't hesitate buying more stuff from him in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by XJeepers; 04-01-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-01-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 109 Times in 81 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ride on one before you decide. Also, the lift kits are just the starting point. There are heaps of other things you'll need for the lift to be complete. Presume you are looking at 35"+ tires, you'll need new tire carrier and probably new wheels etc. As other already said, drive shafts, joints upgrade will be on the list together with fender flares etc.

Build thread : JKU Angry Copper Build
Old 04-01-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've got the door one with the remote rest fox's, drives great, but like anything in the height range i needed brake lines (only couple hundred) and also a front shaft (something crazy like $800?) i tow a ball heavy work trailer every day and also have some heavy drifter draws, 40l engel and one of them grenade corp metal drop down storage boxes, another thing I've gotta add to the kit though which i haven't yet is the rear upper control arms as the rear pinion angle gives a tiny bit of vibration on the take off. apart from that the front end is sweet as and I've done 12,000kms since fitting it a couple months ago and can't complain although once you touch one thing than you need something else every time
Old 04-01-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymy-88u View Post
I've got the door one with the remote rest fox's, drives great, but like anything in the height range i needed brake lines (only couple hundred) and also a front shaft (something crazy like $800?) i tow a ball heavy work trailer every day and also have some heavy drifter draws, 40l engel and one of them grenade corp metal drop down storage boxes, another thing I've gotta add to the kit though which i haven't yet is the rear upper control arms as the rear pinion angle gives a tiny bit of vibration on the take off. apart from that the front end is sweet as and I've done 12,000kms since fitting it a couple months ago and can't complain although once you touch one thing than you need something else every time

The grenade Corp drop down shelf, how do you like it?
Post New Thread  Reply