Commander drawers securing? How? Ideas? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-03-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Sorry for the delayed response James - once again you're right on the money!

I hadn't thought about the curve of the boot opening, and you're absolutely right. I have been working through the design and I think I will end up with a sliding floor very similar to yours, must be by fluke!

The final floor level will end up being very similar to the existing floor level with the 3rd row seats folded down by the time I add the height of the slides and the 18mm ply to the spacing to get the floor above the curve in the boot. I can't complain about that. It should leave me with about 140mm of storage space under the new floor which I never had. Still deciding whether I will add another set of slides on one side like yours, but I will work that out after I get the main set in place first. I have a trip to Cape Leveque coming up at Easter, so I will be working hard to get it done before then. So far I have taken the seats out and bought the timber for the frame, but the fridge slides, anchor track and ply will be another week or so away. (Always hard to get living in the most remote part of the Country)

By the way, i love what you have done with the batteries in the floor space! I was going to add a second battery to mine and connect it to the cranking battery via 6 B&S cable, VSR, circuit breaker and an Anderson plug. Where did you run the cabling from the front of the vehicle? Inside or outside the cabin? Did you drill a new hole in the floor for it?

Cheers,
Hanna
That sounds like a good plan

I just ran two 6mm cables through the existing cable grommet on the passenger side of the firewall (accessible behind the ABS pump and behind/above the interior trim around the bonnet release lever, along the floor under the sill trim, up behind the rear quarter-panel trim and into the void where the battery is. I used two thinner cables only because they'd feed through better than a slighter thicker single cable.

I considered drilling a hole through the floor, but already have the AUX tank in and couldn't find a good spot to feed the cable through conduit and know that it's safe from rubbing.

But in my case it's only feeding a 30A DC-DC charger, so only really need to handle ~60A peak. Then I just have a relay triggered from a momentary switch on the dash to bypass the charger, so I can 'boost' a flat crank battery off the lithium. That's a manual thing though so I just have a slow-burn fuse after the relay.

Charging a large lifepo4 directly off the alternator (via a VSR or whatever.) is a bad idea, a low battery will easily pull 100% load from an auto alternator for hours on-end. Need something to limit the current and an off-the-shelf DC-DC charger is the most cost effective way I found.

This is pretty-much where's it's at now;

A cable drag (the black thing from the fridge.) is a good way to get power to the sliding floor, since it stops the cable from falling down into the void space and getting pinched or whatever. I planned to run it on the underside of the floor but I ran out of space once the charger and inverter were in, so it ended up on the top looking a bit clunky.
Old 28-03-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
That sounds like a good plan

I just ran two 6mm cables through the existing cable grommet on the passenger side of the firewall (accessible behind the ABS pump and behind/above the interior trim around the bonnet release lever, along the floor under the sill trim, up behind the rear quarter-panel trim and into the void where the battery is. I used two thinner cables only because they'd feed through better than a slighter thicker single cable.

I considered drilling a hole through the floor, but already have the AUX tank in and couldn't find a good spot to feed the cable through conduit and know that it's safe from rubbing.

But in my case it's only feeding a 30A DC-DC charger, so only really need to handle ~60A peak. Then I just have a relay triggered from a momentary switch on the dash to bypass the charger, so I can 'boost' a flat crank battery off the lithium. That's a manual thing though so I just have a slow-burn fuse after the relay.

Charging a large lifepo4 directly off the alternator (via a VSR or whatever.) is a bad idea, a low battery will easily pull 100% load from an auto alternator for hours on-end. Need something to limit the current and an off-the-shelf DC-DC charger is the most cost effective way I found.

This is pretty-much where's it's at now;

A cable drag (the black thing from the fridge.) is a good way to get power to the sliding floor, since it stops the cable from falling down into the void space and getting pinched or whatever. I planned to run it on the underside of the floor but I ran out of space once the charger and inverter were in, so it ended up on the top looking a bit clunky.
Cool - it looks like it is coming along nicely! I have never seen that cable drag thing, does it coil up automatically as your drawer/slide gets pushed back in? I definitely want to install a switch to give the cranking battery a boost if needed too.

I was just planning to run an 120Ah AGM deep cycle battery that I can swap in from my camper trailer (I have 2). I also want to interconnect the other battery in the camper trailer whilst towing as well (it is set up with 6 B&S cable, Anderson plug and circuit breakers already). A lithium battery would be nice of course, but at this stage I will stick with what I have got.

I must say that 12V electrics is not my area of expertise, however I did do a lot of research prior to wiring my camper trailer a few years ago and there was always heated arguments between the Pro DC-DC charger brigade and those that believe they were a waste of money in most applications.

From my understanding, you only NEED a DC-DC charger if you have a situation where you have a large voltage drop from the alternator to the battery you want charged (i.e. undersized cable) OR your vehicle alternator does not put put 14.4V consistently - for instance modern Toyota 4WD's either have temperature-sensitive or time limited maximum outputs that drop alternator output to 13.2V when triggered.

So if you have an alternator that consistently puts out 14.4V (I believe that the CRD alternator does?) and the appropriate cabling (6 B&S) then I understand that I don't need a DC-DC charger? The other point that I read is people say you need to be driving for a long period of time before a DC-DC charger can actually bring a deep cycle battery back up to a high state of charge - longer than for the equivalent direct charge from the alternator.

Have I got this right? I would rather keep things simple, but I also want to make sure I get it right the first time!!

BTW - where did you source your anchor track from? I need ~4 x 950mm lengths and struggling to find a decent option for supply of this requirement on eBay. Most that have 610mm lengths going cheap, don't also have the 305mm lengths as well. I suppose I could always cut it to suit?
Old 28-03-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Cool - it looks like it is coming along nicely! I have never seen that cable drag thing, does it coil up automatically as your drawer/slide gets pushed back in? I definitely want to install a switch to give the cranking battery a boost if needed too.

I was just planning to run an 120Ah AGM deep cycle battery that I can swap in from my camper trailer (I have 2). I also want to interconnect the other battery in the camper trailer whilst towing as well (it is set up with 6 B&S cable, Anderson plug and circuit breakers already). A lithium battery would be nice of course, but at this stage I will stick with what I have got.

I must say that 12V electrics is not my area of expertise, however I did do a lot of research prior to wiring my camper trailer a few years ago and there was always heated arguments between the Pro DC-DC charger brigade and those that believe they were a waste of money in most applications.

From my understanding, you only NEED a DC-DC charger if you have a situation where you have a large voltage drop from the alternator to the battery you want charged (i.e. undersized cable) OR your vehicle alternator does not put put 14.4V consistently - for instance modern Toyota 4WD's either have temperature-sensitive or time limited maximum outputs that drop alternator output to 13.2V when triggered.

So if you have an alternator that consistently puts out 14.4V (I believe that the CRD alternator does?) and the appropriate cabling (6 B&S) then I understand that I don't need a DC-DC charger? The other point that I read is people say you need to be driving for a long period of time before a DC-DC charger can actually bring a deep cycle battery back up to a high state of charge - longer than for the equivalent direct charge from the alternator.

Have I got this right? I would rather keep things simple, but I also want to make sure I get it right the first time!!

BTW - where did you source your anchor track from? I need ~4 x 950mm lengths and struggling to find a decent option for supply of this requirement on eBay. Most that have 610mm lengths going cheap, don't also have the 305mm lengths as well. I suppose I could always cut it to suit?
Yep the cable drag rolls as the drawer closes. I'm mainly using it because I'll have a silicone hose taking water to a hot water thing.

I think you're on the money re; DC-DC charger. Should be fine without one with just AGM batteries and adequate cable. You'll always get more current (and better efficiency.) charging directly from the alternator, so yeah DC-DC charger can take a lot longer.
The 30A from ABR Sidewider is the highest output I've seen for a reasonable cost (there's some better marine ones around, but they're insane money... probably do a water-cooled alternator for the same cost.).

Voltage drop to the van could be an issue, but you can always add a dc-dc charger later if you need. Remember you need to measure the voltage under load (while the batteries are charging.).

I get anchor track and rings from Torpedo7 in NZ (https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/shop/moto/transport), but they only have 2ft lengths too. Seen longer from suppliers but works out more expensive. So I just use multiple lengths and cut them. Rebate it into the ply so it's flush with the carpet if you can.
Old 08-04-2017
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Hey James,

Thanks for all the advice - I have sent you a PM with a few more questions!

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 11-03-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hello

I used steel patio tubing to level the floor with the lip of the boot.

Secured to the existing mounting loops using u bolts and inch long block nuts on the bolts. These are both the points the rear seats were attached to.

I’ll see if I can dig up come pictures.
Post New Thread  Reply