Only in a JEEP: New height world record in a JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Daily report March 8, 2007

As expected, most of us had a headache, a dizzy spell and a sick feeling today. After a more or less restless night, many of us were absolutely shattered although we spent the night at a place almost similar to a *****hotel (at least in comparison to my last expeditions).

Let’s describe the situation: Our base camp is an old police station in an altitude of 4500m. After the station was on fire years ago, it has been rebuilt in 2007. We are, so to say, the first visitors. The rebuilding has not been finished yet but at least, we are all sheltered from wind and weather. We live in narrow conditions (15 people together in 30m²) but it is much better than camping. Water is only distributed in rations.

Today, it was important to check the performance of all team members in order to get them in the right groups for the following days. That is why we went on a 4-hour-hike in the morning and a 1.5-hour-hike in the afternoon. The first chosen route led from 4500 up to 5000m in a distance of 10km. The second one had a distance of approximately 4km. The team consciously reached its performance limits. After returning to the station, Hubertus, Hans, Joachim und I analyzed the latest route findings and grouped the participants for tomorrow.

Despite best preparation of everyone, big performance differences are noticeable which force us to postpone our expedition plans by one day. Thus, we start our record ride on Saturday at 4 a.m.

However, not only the team had to stand a hard testing today but also the Jeep® Wrangler vehicles. Both cars had to prove their capability of driving over boulders, rocks and sand.

In addition, we tested the tipping limits (sloping rides until just before the drop) in an altitude of around 5000m, the differential locks, the shocks and steering stabilizers, the different reduction possibilities and so on. The results look quite impressive. I cannot remember to have driven an off-road vehicle before, that makes such extreme rides that easy. The effect of the stabilizers is incredible; also the power of the engine is very good (it is fantastic how the car copes with steep passages during the idle running). The wheel track is fabulous and thus the tipping limits and so on. I really have no complaints.

Today, we provided the 8x8 Argos® with equipment and will use them as our transport and rescue vehicles. We will test them tomorrow as well and then we will climb up to 5950m.

Close to the place where the record track begins, we will set up magazines and park the Argo® vehicles there, for their use on Saturday morning. At the same time, the film- and photo teams took beautiful shoots and extraordinary pictures.
While sitting and writing here, I am getting a message from Argentina:

Apparently, there is another competitor, a Mitsubishi sponsored team, which is also trying to break the record. At the moment, the team is supposed to have reached an altitude of 6025m. I am not sure yet what to think about it, but obviously we started a big wave with the Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2007. I will try to check the truth of this information.

Along with Jeep®, my team and I should actually start to be pleased débuting all other brands, even though that is not my style. However, when so many people make the effort to break our record, we will give them an answer with our performance and with the performance of our cars.

Our 3 Jeep XJs: www.team************.de
Weblog: www.liska.de
Old 10-03-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Wow, this is great, well done. That last photo looks like a lunar landscape.
Old 10-03-2007
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah that second pic is fantastic. I would love that in high resolution. Look awsome as a desktop pic...
Congratulation on all your efforts so far. And thank you for sharing them with us. Good luck. It sounds like its not going to get any easier.
Is it going to be only the two Wranglers that are going to the very top ?
Old 10-03-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeh fantastic stuff, all the best of luck. I agree that shot above looks unreal, would like to see high res version. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 10-03-2007
'06 TJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great stuff! these reports are awesome.

Alles Gute!
Old 12-03-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Daily report March 9, 2007

A hard day for mind and body

In the morning, we tested the Argo® vehicles (we decided to put off the chains because of the weather conditions), have taken pictures of the Jeep® Wranglers in wonderful scenery, and interviewed the participants of the expedition. Afterwards, we planned to start for our record track to an altitude of 5950m at 1 p.m. On the one hand, we had to set up a storage room for our material there. On the other hand, it was important for me to see, what can be expected in the rocky lane. This track is the only way to the plateau of the Ojos, therefore extremely important to overcome. The lane is sloping on both sides, has a slope of about 50% and is really challenging to drive. We started this extremely hard tour at 1 p.m., and needed seven hours “on the road”. Too much time, considering the total length of 60 km.

However, the Ojos does not make it easy for us. At an altitude of 5400m, two sand fields (above the Atacama hut) were covered by drifting sand to such an extent, that even there we had to do a hard work for almost two hours, in order to scrape our four cars along. To crown all, a big stone broke off during the further course of our trip, when I crossed it. The stone got stuck under the differential in the rear in such a way, that we had to lift the car with jacks in order to dig the stone up with blades: a hard graft at an altitude of 5700m. Additionally, a strong sandy wind, gave us a hard time. Although being sheltered by glacier goggles, storm masks and caps, the sand found his way through any little gap and thus it was difficult to see and breathe. Some of us were temporarily not able to see anything, until our doctor Hubertus helped them out.

There were also bad circumstances, when we arrived at the starting point of the record track. The rocky lane was filled up with many boulders due to draining glacier water. The only possibility to get through, was a huge amount of extra effort (digging up big stones and moving them aside). For this reason, we decided to send a team, consisting of Dieter, Hans, two rangers and me, to the rocky lane tomorrow, in order to do the necessary preparations. In detail, we have to move stones at an altitude of around 6000m during the whole day. The other team members will go on further acclimatisation hikes at an altitude of 5300m.

Our 3 Jeep XJs: www.team************.de
Weblog: www.liska.de
Old 12-03-2007
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What a fantastic expedition. Pictures are truly awe inspiring.
Looking forward to the next days adventure.
Post New Thread  Reply