How to search - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2003
asp_777
Visitor

Default How to search

Hi all
Like your web site.
I'm new to this forum and looking for a past topic (if it exists). Can seem to work it out. I'm about to buy a Grande Cherokee LTD 2000 or later. My question is : Is Quadra Drive worth having or can I get a aftermarket equivalent. Are they the same as Diff lockers? Thanks
Old 13-11-2003
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi, quick reply before i go to bed.. ask more if im not clear...

1, QD to my understanding, its sort of works like a HD LSD.. kicks in when one side loses traction, (think you need one side to spin like 5 revs before kicking in.)

2, QD is worth having, why? because there is no after market lockers for the rear D44a. apparently there are some coming out on the market, but im not holding my breathe for them..

3, QD diff internals of the front D30 is different to the normal open D30, but you can still fit ARBs in the QD D30, but its costly, will tel you more if need be. so you can have Front ARB & rear QD and it works a treat...

my opinion? for luxury offroading
go for a WJ with QD,
and if the finance is right, find a post 2000 WJ say 2001-2003, the 99 & i think 2000 have a thermal fan of not so high quality & it doesnt go too well with a bull bar in front... there are also a few "bug" or teething problem with the earlier WJ's where they sorted them out in the later models.... (in my opinion anyway, if it counts...)

however,
if you;re going to do more serious offroading or hard core shait..
get a XJ, TJ or even ZJ....
WJ is just a bit too trouble some to get serious, but they can be if you only need one leg one arm & one kidney..
can talk more about other issues..

where you located?

cheers

keep posting
Old 13-11-2003
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

oh and to search,
there isnt that much post ever in the section so you can just browse thru the pages below,
or up above, there is a little icon with the word "search"
click on it, and then type inthe key words, and then select the correct forum to searh in, then click on searh..
chees
Old 14-11-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How much extra is it to get QD? If its a little then go for it otherwise buy a front ARB Locker and leave the Limo in the rear till ARB make one for the D44A (IF!)
Old 14-11-2003
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

not much for the QD, for the 99-2000 models it was a 1000 extra on the purchase cost, the was then raised to $2000 as a added extra in the 2001 models, not sure what it was after then.
that was back in those days, it is definitely an angle to crank the used vehicle prices, but i cant see it cranking it up much more than the non QD WJ's...
the open D30 + ARB + LSD might be a good go as well.
will discuss more when asp replies.
Old 14-11-2003
asp_777
Visitor

Default Quadra Drive

Thanks all for your replies. After reading what you have all said, it seems that I will look for a WG model 2001 or later with Quadradrive fiited. It seems from various reading material that its worth just waiting for a model with that fitted to come along. The only problem is that they are rare but common in the WJ's. Not many 2001 model on the market though, I think 2001> will be better for resale and also had features that the pre 2000 had not. I suppose I will just keep scanning the adds for a model. Thanks
Old 14-11-2003
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if you looking for creature comfort

1, the later model has a 10 stacker + indash CD.
2, fake Burl wood trim
3, white gauges
etc. etc.

if you're looking for resale...

well there isnt a lot of value in resale, 99 WJ is now worth less than 40k, when new its very close to 80k to roll out the door. must admit it has been 4 years.
but check redbook.com.au to see the resale trend...

1 more thing to look for is check if the Electric heating seats are in working order, the earlies models tend to die, apparently there is no fix xcept replace, 900 a seat if im correct. those seats are bloody good in winter mornings, mine has beeen dead for years now....
Post New Thread  Reply