TURBO DIESEL GRAND CHEROKEE - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2003
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts

I was looking into the so called budget boosts & decided that with prices ranging from just under $400 to over $700 just for some poly or alloy spring spacers (& in one case bump stop extenders) they werent really a budget option.
As I sell & install a lot of Pedders supension & they could give me accurate ride heghts (whereas OME couldn't) I used their coils. Still using std shocks at this time. I know this affects my articulation slightly but might machine some 1" - 1.5" spacers before I put longer shocks on. Will use pedders shocks as I have been very happy with the ride quality of their shocks & springs on all the vehicles that I have upgraded.
My ride is slightly firmer & borderline harsh around town (compared to std), perfect on the highway & about the same on dirt & corrugations. Handling is greatly improved especially when loaded & at all speeds. Took a lot of the rear end float/wobble out.
On my first offroad trip pre lift I spent the whole day draging the Jeeps belly on the ground. I dented the fuel tank guard, dented the trans x-member big time & used the b-bar as a dozer blade on one track. Its a lot better now but at the risk of driveline & steering issues a bit higher would be nice. Also the front hasn't sagged with the bullbars weight. The last thing I want to do is ruin its good onroad manners just for that occasional extreme track.
Whereabouts in Bris are you? Be good to compare rides.
Cheers
David

P.S. New coils at $150 - $160 a pair make spacers look overpriced.
Old 07-12-2003
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's good info thanks David.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench
Took a lot of the rear end float/wobble out..
I haven't noticed any wobble in mine yet - maybe cos' I've only been on Freeways or cross-city suburban roads. Any cross country runs I've always been towing near on 2t.
'got a hayman reece levelling set up on the trailer fitted by ARB at Buranda. I used to turn the tow bar up side down and flip the ball over to get the trailler to sit level - the jeeps tow ball was 6" too low. The blokes at ARB set it up properly so the rig sits dead level with the tow bar (new hitch with cam gear) and ball are around the correct way.

Quote:
The last thing I want to do is ruin its good onroad manners just for that occasional extreme track. .
Agree - its catch 22 - thing is the easiest of tracks can go to sh*t at just round the corner and ground clearance suddenly becomes an issue. I wasn't intending do do any really serious stuff but a trip like due west from B'dsville to Alice could be on the cards_I'll have to procrastinate on that a while yet though. Point being you can't have too much ground clearance out there.

Quote:
P.S. New coils at $150 - $160 a pair make spacers look overpriced.
I'm down Runcorn way - work just across brisbane river near southbank

ciao

Post New Thread  Reply