Keep Popping Off Vacuum Hose 4.7 V8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-02-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Keep Popping Off Vacuum Hose 4.7 V8

As the topic suggests, I have a certain vacuum hose that keeps popping out of the rubber joiner at either end.

It goes from the throttle body to what looks like a solenoid that is connected to all the emissions gear.

The only difference I notice when it has popped out is that the transmission doesn't shift from park to reverse, drive etc. as smoothly as when the line is connected. If I put my finger over the end of the hose the motor stalls.

Just wondering if this is a common problem people have encountered or if it suggests I have a failed component/blockage in my vacuum lines some where.

I also currently have a starting problem with the car that I thought was fuel related, is it possible that this vacuum hose could be part of the cause of this?

I've attached a pic of the hose in question and one of the sticker under the bonnet that shows where all the hoses go.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats wierd mate, I have got the exact problem with that hose coming off on the the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid(I think). I haven't noticed any shifting issues, but I will check once it comes off again. I have no starting problems though. A sign that mine has come off is an eratic idle & high revs on initial startup. Seems to go back to normal once reconnected & gone through a few startup cycles. Saying that, I have been having issues with my IAC (Idle Air Controller), which I think is the culprit.

I am thinking of finding a permanent way of attaching, but like yourself worry about an underlying problem. It may be as simple as the hose is old & has loosened up on the fitting over time. Does yours come off after/during every drive or does it come off occassionally?
Old 01-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It doesn't always come off but from what I can gather it appears that the hose is physically too short and maybe the engine rocking with acceleration is enough to pull it out.

A mate suggested cutting the solid plastic hose in half and then joining it with a bit of flexible vacuum hose to see if that stops it. I've had to glue in the solenoid end as the way the rubber boots are setup you can't put a hose clamp on it but you can on the throttle body end.

At least I'm not the only one having the issue though, must just be another one of the little quirks these cars have.
Old 01-03-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I used to have this prob & I believe its cause the hose is a bit short for when the motor leans over on hard acceleration.
It wont cause hard start but will mess with idle speed control.
I simply pulled hose partly off engine end (has fairly long fitting on TB anyway) & this fixed it.
Have since relocated whole vac solonoid bracket closer to motor (just drill two new holes).
Old 02-03-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah i've got the same problem too - hose seems too short and comes off under hard acceleration when the engine moves around.
Doesn't seem to affect the car though and while revs change when i block it, the engine doesn't stall
Old 02-03-2009
asp_777
Visitor

ditto - have same problem but just cable tied it at both ends
Old 12-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
I used to have this prob & I believe its cause the hose is a bit short for when the motor leans over on hard acceleration.
It wont cause hard start but will mess with idle speed control.
I simply pulled hose partly off engine end (has fairly long fitting on TB anyway) & this fixed it.
Have since relocated whole vac solonoid bracket closer to motor (just drill two new holes).
I pulled the hose off slightly at the T/B end and bent the bracket that has the solenoid on it towards the motor and it seems to have fixed the prob. Hasn't popped off in over a week now
Post New Thread  Reply