My own "project ZJ" - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-10-2002
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default My own "project ZJ"

You've probably all seen the US version of Project ZJ - the guy who built up a magnificint 6" lifted ZJ only to right it off.. well , that's not what I want.I just want your views on what I could do next to my humble beast. I know it all depends on what driving I do but I'd like to get a little more daring and tackle the odd rocky climb normally reserved for you guys with the 33" MTs etc and the odd deep river crossing.

My ZJ runs dual fuel, Rancho 9000s, Tomken heavy duty coils ( giving around 2" lift), disco sway bars, Cooper 30" STs. I have the radio, recovery gear (incl hand winch), fridge and all the bits and bobs. More interested in what I should save for now:
diff locks (have the ARB compressor - can it be used?); bull bar, power winch, rock rails, more lift, snorkel (although a prob with the ZJ - there isn't one)

No - i'm not rich - just thinking ahead and would appreciate your thoughts
cheers [img]graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

>>> the missues if I spend any more [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/madfinger.gif[/img] :mad:

[ 30 October 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: marxy ]
Old 30-10-2002
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i havent seen the 'project ZJ' but i've seen plenty of ZJ in the US on JU.. good and bad :D

stating the obvious, going to 33, you might want to look into ratios as well, or you might get away with it, not sure the standard ratios of ZJ's are, they my be 3.73 or 3.55 and the 33 should fit, with lesser offset wheels.

then,
ARB compressor, you can use it with the lockers, you proberly want to find a place ti pernamtly install it, ie under your rear seats, and you'll need the fittings and wiring loom to go to the lockers and your dash.
Diff locks, you can have ARB lockers in the front and the rear, (F-D30, R-D35c) or other lockers like Detroits or all out with OX.
Bull bars, ARB's the go, i wouldnt be bother with the US ones, however, the TrailReady looks quite cool...
winch, Warn 8000 will live in the ARB bars nicely, think the 9000's might fit too, but im pretty sure Warn winch with integrated solenoid wont fit..
Rock rails, make them your self, or have a local mob to make them for ya. or go all out and import them from 'Off Road General Store' in the US, and then martage ya house :D . you'll want some sort of rails, they can go on the ZJ before ya lifts...
More lift
ok, i like this,
if you are planning to go to 4"+ you'll have to think of the "OTHER" parts that you'll or might need to change as well.
1, SYE for 249 they are available
2, track bar F&R
3, LCA's or even UCA's
4, Longer driveshafts maybe

options
a, you can get bolt on kits from Rubicon Express (mick@Suburban)and TeraFlex (Tony@USA4X4), and they are pretty complete, and you dont have to worry about missin bits and piece there are other lift kits from Rustys, or Rockkrawler, and many others as well.
b, or you can build you a 'all sorts lift' maybe cheaper, maybe more expensive, one of the thing the dudes loves to do in the US is the F&R swap, where they put the front Spring of the ZJ to the rear, and then buy need springs to match in the front, think that gives you 2-3 inch of lift, havent tried it myself, but i suspects the ride can be rougher.

snorkel, none availble for a ZJ? you might have to guess again :D

ask mick/mark at Suburban4WD for a price.

thats ArnieZJ's ZJ, 4 1/2" lift, lock F&R 31's MTR, snorkel, warn 8000, arb bar. and he drives as far as any of the big truck does. to give you an image of its ability, he used to do porters road when it was still open. :D

[ 30 October 2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: billsta ]
Old 30-10-2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if i drove the way he does i could go anywhere too :eek:
Old 30-10-2002
Rock Munki

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Can't buy an ARB winch bar for a ZJ fer love or money (and I don't have a good suppy of either) I have been offered a EastCoast Bar for $1,300.00 in alloy.
Have a look in the Traders for a 6000lb winch ex Hilux or similar. Strong enough for the ZJ. 8000 and 9000 is plain overkill.

While in overkill mode - remove front and rear bumpers, stick in 4" lift and 33" tyres and really look the part! [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Or real overkill is to ferget the ZJ and grab a little "project Jeep" like a CJ or similar and really have some fun.
Old 30-10-2002
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Re the 33s - I think it takes some pretty major inside guard cutting to get them in - but point taken. The snorkel - I think Mick modifed that one to fit - not a std. I have spoken to him about it once before. And yes - know the issues with lifting higher - hence why only a sedate 2" was first attempted - but alas, my frustrations of my initial ( no longer) mechanic lacking foresight and only putting in short std Ranchos has limited TWs chance of going too much higher until I replace the Ranchos (which are still pups). Ross - ARB advertise a ZJ bar - am I missng something?

Oh yeah:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/projzjintro.htm

AND

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/grand/r.../risenfall.htm

[ 31 October 2002, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: marxy ]
Old 31-10-2002
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

nothing's an over kill :D and the winch can never pull fast enough [img]tongue.gif[/img] (what have i done [img]graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] )

i remember seeing that project ZJ now.. :D bummer about the write off..

i have talked with wooders a while back, and we both came to a conclusion that if we were to starrt again, we would have bought a old CJ (or DJ) and go stupid with it...

and in hind sight i should have kept my ZJ and monstify it rather than trying to do it with a WJ, the bottom line is that, its easier to go all out with a CJ or even TJ than try to do it with a family jeep...

it seems to be an over kill, but i do think that trying to make the Grand to become a semi hardcore machine is the fun in itself, than proving to the others that the Grands can do what ever the others can do is sight to see :D

what is my point? i dont really know, but do waht ever suits you.... cheeeers
Old 31-10-2002
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ditto Billsta. Ok - I may never get 35"s underneath, or 33"s for that matter, but in 3-5 yrs, the ZJ will be lookin' a little tired and no doubt another little Jeepster will have joined the Marx ranks - therefore, dare I say it here, a yota or triple diamond 7 seater may find its way into the household. The up side - the ZJ no longer takes the role of the "family" car - but rather "daddy's toy" and I can finally piss off the little Korean number that I am forced to drive during the week (albeit only to the train). Who knows - maybe an old TJ may be acquired a long way done the track - but I would still like to show that Grands can do it! - well ... most of it? [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

[ 01 November 2002, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: marxy ]
Post New Thread  Reply