Grand Willys Project - Page 281 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Congrats Marcus, it looks awesome.
Waiting to see it painted, it will be a master piece
Old 11-05-2022
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Heard the steam trains running past from my house, so decided to duck out and try and get some shots between the showers of rain. Not great conditions for photography, let alone driving a bare metal truck!

It was coming in pretty fast so hoped I could get a couple of shots in before he passed.

Nope, camera to slow to refocus!
This locally built steam train was built in 1943 and only five years older than the Willys!
https://www.steamrail.com.au/k183

Was the end of the line so took a shot while waiting for it to come back up the line. Drizzle had set in now too

What was cool that I got two steam trains to photograph as they had one at each end as had no where to turn them around and were doing a shuttle service back on forth on our line this day.

Coming from a standing start and on an uphill grade gave me more time to get some extra shots in.

Sorry for all the shots but couldn't pick which ones to leave out and played with a few filters and effects.

Wife thought she could help by taking shots with her phone as was faster, so took all of the portrait view shots.
The K190 was built in the same workshop in 1946 so only two years older than the Willys. Only just got back on the line too after a recent restoration.
https://www.steamrail.com.au/k190

The Willys was drawing a lot of attention from the passengers and the train engineers were giving it the big thumbs up as well!

Camera really had trouble, and my lack of knowledge, in these conditions, but least I got some 'atmosphere'.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 11-05-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

The truck in its current form looks awesome in that light. In some ways it'll be a shame to see it painted.

All registered now?
Old 23-05-2022
LokRinger

Just showing a few things that I have been working on while waiting to get it engineered. Just some small improvements.

Now that I have had a chance to drive it, I didn't like how far the throttle was from the kick panel. It is mounted to the donor firewall in the stock location, but think it was made to clear the transmission tunnel in a LHD.

Not the easiest to modify though.

I started by heating it up and slowing bringing it over. Refitted it but thought some more would be better. Well then it snapped! I already had a plan thinking this would happen, so time to implement it.

So I made a replacement from some steel tubing with the bottom cut out of it to form a channel. It has been epoxied on to the stub after it was built up to give more support as well as a deep rivet for a mechanical connection.

It has moved over about 50-60mm, 2"-2.5".

You can see I still have plenty of room but feels much more natural using it. I also fitted a cover over the dead pedal for better wear a tear and easier cleaning. It is from a Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee rear door sill was a perfect match. I also had made some templates and had custom floor mats made. Also increased the size of the brake pedal and is now the same size as my other Jeep.

The exhaust flanges that were the last thing hanging below the frame rails have been removed and replaced with band clamps. Much neater and seal really well and hold more firmly than the type of flange joints it had.

Another thing that showed up was that the fuel filler I had fitted stripped out when trying to remove it for the first time after driving it. The suction was enough to cause the handle release shaft to spin. So have replaced it with a cast stainless boat deck filler instead.

Since buying these wheels I had always planned to modify them to be more custom and less 'fussy'.

Came across these chrome centre caps meant for another wheel in their range, but fitted these perfectly. It actually tones it down a bit and more period to the build.

Another thing I didn't like was all the stainless bolts sticking out of the fake bead locks. So replaced them with black powder coated stainless furniture bolts to make them blend in more. Makes the ring look part of the tyre instead of the wheel and less offroad orientated. More classic looking too.

I also bought a set of the Jeep anniversary cast metal badges which fitted the centre caps exactly. Not sure on them yet though?

Close up of the wheel without the anniversary badges.

Close up with the badge in place.

Stock black plastic cap.

My web site:
Old 24-05-2022
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

I like the anniversary caps....
Old 06-06-2022
LokRinger

Might be interstate right now, but was great to walk into a newsagent and see a 10 page write up on my build in Hot Rodding International!

https://www.graffitipub.com.au/hot-r...nal-no-12.html

My web site:
Old 07-06-2022
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

Hard to know what parts of this amazing build to feature in only 10 pages! (as we move onto 282 pages in this forum!) Great stuff
Post New Thread  Reply