What's your welder..... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What sort of welder do you own....
Arc 11 20.75%
Oxy/acc 1 1.89%
Mig 16 30.19%
Tig 3 5.66%
None - But looking 11 20.75%
None - Not Looking 9 16.98%
Other - Please speficy & comment 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2004
i am the CIG

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

got my own mig 190 amp single phase has seperate wire feeder andallthe bellsand whistles will weld 8mm plate no probs
Old 07-01-2004
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For serious fabrication my welder is called Gunter. Gunter is a german boilermaker at my work and we have a $5000 lincoln mig there. Only a few problems though, we have to be on the same shift when I want work done and it' hard to get big projects out of work past the security guard. For small stuff at home I have a handyman type arc.
Old 07-01-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive got a ARC welder which is fine for general fab workand heavey gauge stell plate for thin car body you cant beat a mig .For fab work i run a small drill press a press a drop saw and hand drills and grinders next on the hit list is a good quality tube /pipe bender for rock rails and bull bars.Also helps being able to use works lathes mills and plate rollers
Old 07-01-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
where can you do wel.....duh courses?
In Canberra, the TAFEs (now CIT) and some of the high school colleges run recreational courses or you can just enroll in one off welding course that are part of a certificate (probably hard to ge ta spot). Years ago I did a TAFE course is panel beating and welding for home mechanic type people. They also ran more advanced ones and also spray painting course - all after hours - basically packed with guys planning their "ground up restorations"

Anyway try your local TAFE equivalent.
Old 07-01-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's one from the high school college in Belconnen (Canberra)

Welding for Beginners
Wednesdays 6.30 - 9.30 8 weeks
Starts: 22nd October
Fee: $155 (plus materials)

Course description: The aim of this course is to give you knowledge and skills to safely weld mild steel using Oxy-Acetylene, MIG and Electric Arc processes. You will learn about each process, how to set up the machines, how to prepare metals for welding, how to safely operate the various welders and the different techniques able to be used with each process. A series of exercises will gradually build your confidence to enable you to manufacture well made articles of your choice. This course is a useful pre-requisite for Metal projects.
Old 07-01-2004
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

have got 2 migs,,,,small one is excellent for doing sheet work,,,big one is around 300 amp or so ,,arc welder...drill press,,cut off saw,,4"grinder,,9" grinder,,few drills,,pipe bender,,drill press....etc etc etc......then if i really want to get serious i got the keys to a mates engineering shop,,,,,ahh life is good,,,,,lol.......
paz
Old 07-01-2004
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
where can you do wel.....duh courses?
head that can do one at Brookvale TAFE in Syd.. bit closer than Belconnen...
prices & timing unkonwn.

maybe we should get a few guys together to do the course.
Post New Thread  Reply