CRD buying questions - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default CRD buying questions

Hey guys, havent been here for a while as i sold my WH and now i miss it
I had a 5.7 before which was great and reliable but used way to much juice! Me and the missus are thinking off buying a caravan so i need to get a tow car again and been looking at GCs and Commanders but CRD models instead. Ive never had a diesel before and consider myself pretty handy around a petrol engine but dont know much about diesel.
Ive done a bit of research on the 3l CRD and seen some issues around glow plugs and swirl motor issues. Other than that is there much to worry about? would you consider them a fairly reliable motor? Most ive been looking at seem to be around the 200k mark which would be fairly consistant for the age of the vehicle do you think this is high kms? And are they fairly easy to work on?
Thanks guys hopefully ill be a proud jeep owner again soon and have the fun of calling car parts shops and trying to get jeep parts again!
Old 30-01-2019
Established Member

Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I've had a stack of issues with mine:

Front diff bushes
Front prop shaft CV
Cooling system plastic parts
Air-con system
Plastic interior door handles
Torque converter lock up clutch
Oil cooler seals
Front control arms (upper and lower)
software updates for 4WD system
Rear diff control arm bushes
Rear diff bearings still to do

You either love them OR hate them
It's a Jeep thing

Having said all that,
I drive mine like I hate over some harsh corrugated dirt roads

Last edited by ren0vator; 30-01-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: link
Old 30-01-2019
Senior Newbie

haha cheers Ren0vator! ive always followed your thread and admired the stuff youve done.

A lot of the issues youve had arent really engine related so they dont overally concern me im more concerned about the turbo and engine issues. Most bushes and suspension are fairly easy fixes and had to deal with them on my old Jeep especially sway bar bushes!
Old 30-01-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVD View Post
haha cheers Ren0vator! ive always followed your thread and admired the stuff youve done.

A lot of the issues youve had arent really engine related so they dont overally concern me im more concerned about the turbo and engine issues. Most bushes and suspension are fairly easy fixes and had to deal with them on my old Jeep especially sway bar bushes!
My son has my old Commander, it has just clicked over 200k, no problems still runs like a clock.
It has no mods to the motor, other than a pre fuel filter added.
2008 model, i fitted the modified turbo air intake tube from new, brought one in from Europe. No issues with swirl motor, no catch can fitted and no problem with intake system as yet.
So all in all been a very good motor.
Maybe look up on the Chrysler 300c forums and the Sprinter forums.
Old 30-01-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

On the WK facebook page some are bragging about 300,000 MILES so 200,000 km is just run in
Old 31-01-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

I bought my CRD in July 2017 with 190k+kms, and now have 245k on it.

Since then I have replaced the glow plugs, and glow plug module.

I bypassed the swirl pot via a resistor, and had the EGR fail, which also was bypassed via a resistor.

A must have is the BlueDriver OBD2 device, which can read and clear the CRD and Jeep related codes.

Regular servicing with the right oil and fuel filter etc does wonders.

I have had no other engine related issues.

I plan to do the serpentine belt soon and do plan on a Catch Can.

The CRD engine is great on and off road too.
Old 31-01-2019
Senior Newbie

Thanks heaps guys. Pretty much consistant with what ive read already. Now to decide weather or not to get a commander... there like a chick with a hot body but ugly face i love the whole car but the front is just awful!
Post New Thread  Reply