Brake squeal - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Brake squeal

Trying to solve this. I've fitted new Bendix 4x4 pads and RDA slotted/dimpled rotors. I then found both left sides dragging slightly, so I have fitted new pistons, seals and boots. The post-drive temperatures are now way down. All good, almost...

They squeal - constantly. The only time they stop is under heavy braking. Normal driving (brake not applied) they do a squeak-squeak, increasing to a real squeal under light braking but going quite if I brake hard.

Any ideas?

Has anyone tried this stuff? https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...18ml/1061.html
Old 04-12-2021
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Never used the goop but it may help. Do the pads have a bevel on a leading edge at all? If you that may also help solve the problems.
Old 05-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

My experience with many different cars is that brake squeal tends to disappear with use.

My Honda FK8 Type R with Brembo’s was dreadful for squeal from new, but it finally went after about 1500kms. It drove me crazy to begin with ..,,,,
Old 06-12-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Good that your disc temps are down now, may save a bit of fuel. As for the squeal , what Bodgie said about the bevel at least on the leading edge of the pad may help. But also if you do the pad break-in procedure. Lastly do they have an anti squeal shim on the back of the pad? Some are just a bit of a stick on type. My bet would be check the bevel and then do a pad break-in(google for a guide). Good luck, hope it works. Just as a guide my disc temps after a drive on about 20deg ambient are about30 to40 front and about 40 to 50 rear. Its not easy to find some where to stop and read the temps without using the brakes and not causing traffic chaos.
PS,, have you got an old set of pads to try, its most likely the pads themselves not the new discs.

Last edited by 5oclock; 06-12-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

So... Still squealing. I'm not sure if it is wishful thinking, but perhaps a little less. The most annoying thing it the squeak-squeak when driving (not braking).

Tried the red goop. No difference.

The Bendix pads are chamfered and have a layer on the back that looks like thick cloth tape. I've already binned the old ones. Lesson learnt there!

On a positive note, first run to-and-from work today returned 8.4l/100km. I normally run around 8.9 (EVIC readings). I'll reserve judgement on the consumption until I fill up towards the end of the week. The actual is usually around 1.2 higher than the EVIC reading.

I've ordered a new-new set of ceramic low-noise pads from RockAuto. They also come with new hardware. ETA is early next week. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by JeanLuke; 06-12-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Did you try any breaking-in ? So annoying after you have put in a lot of time and effort. Maybe give the brakes 3 or 4 good hard slowdowns from 80 , but dont stop completely and keep going for a distance to cool them down before you stop. I think the manufactures say pads take 300km or so to fully bed in. By the way have you had a chance to put the variloks to the test?
Old 07-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

I have not tried the variloc yet. Just looking at my records - that was late September. Wow - I need to do more wheeling and less commuting!

The pads are now over 7000km old - more than enough time to bed in. I did do a series of near-stops when I first installed them.

One thing I suspect I may have done wrong is lubed the calliper slide pins with the blue Bendex ceramic grease. It's a little sticky. When I fit the new ceramic pads, I'll give them a good clean.
Post New Thread  Reply