XJ Mods VSB 14 - Page 89 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2021
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Just a small update...

All seems to be going well, except i seem to have an intermittent problem, whereby every once in a while she wont crank. Happened this morning and ive been suspecting the NSS for a while.

Also noticed that normally, she would crank in the Park position, but not in the Neutral position.

I grabbed a page from GoJeep and tested the NSS with the jumper. All good. I serviced the NSS a few years ago, so i thought i would try the adjuster bolt first. This worked well. I just undid the bolt, rotated the NSS a bit, tightened her back up and she cranked in P and N. I reckon that that should fix the intermittent no crank condition.

Checked my oil and she was down quite a lot on the dipstick. She has burnt about a litre over the last year. The full synthetic oil i use is pretty dear, but pretty good stuff.. so i just topped her up for now. Will wait for it to come on special and probably do a full oil change soon.

Old 28-07-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

1L oil over a year is not too bad. I use the same Penriite in mine. If you keep an eye on the Repco site you will find time to time 10L tubs going for half price. I purchased two last time and just used my last one on the weekend. I service my TJ twice a year - around Christmas and around 30th June. I usually stock up when I need something and wait for a decent Repco sale on oil filters, air filters, spark plugs and oil. Being 10L tubs I store the old oil in 2L plastic milk cartons and when the 10L is empty transfer all across and take down to Supercheap for free disposal.
Old 29-07-2021
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishframe View Post
1L oil over a year is not too bad. I use the same Penriite in mine. If you keep an eye on the Repco site you will find time to time 10L tubs going for half price. I purchased two last time and just used my last one on the weekend. I service my TJ twice a year - around Christmas and around 30th June. I usually stock up when I need something and wait for a decent Repco sale on oil filters, air filters, spark plugs and oil. Being 10L tubs I store the old oil in 2L plastic milk cartons and when the 10L is empty transfer all across and take down to Supercheap for free disposal.
All great ideas Fishframe.
I will keep an eye out for the 10lt tubs on special. Also, disposal at Supercrap is a good idea.
Looks like i will be heading for service time again soon...
Cheers,
Old 13-12-2022
AJOR Gold

Jeez, time fly's when your having fun.

I sort of got concentrated on the WH CRD I bought and neglected the good old XJ.
Anyway, sold the WH and just to expensive and time consuming with the daughters car and my two cars and helping out on the boys car..

Dropped the oil today and swapped in some fresh synthetic and a new filter. There has been a slight weep from somewhere, but not sure where. Ive cleaned it all up underneath and nipped everything up a bit tighter.

Ive got a small coolant weep that I cant trace. Its been there for years. Car never gets over half way on the gauge and systems is nearly all relatively new and upgraded, however, I can smell coolant after a long drive and when I have parked up. I loose a tiny amount out of the coolant bottle every now and then.

So... rigged up my free and easy pressure tester. An old bicycle inner tube valve, a bicycle pump with gauge and my Stant Lever Vent radiator cap. Just undo the long rubber hose from the coolant bottle and tighten a bicycle valve in using the same hose clip. Open the lever vent on the radiator cap and pump up system to 14-16 PSI.

I also use a $2 black light from Ebay as it makes coolant glow. I did not loose any pressure during testing and I could here the system pressurize.

I did see a small spot on the right tank that looks like it weeps under extreme conditions and probably has done for yonks.

So... for now I am going to get some K-Seal... https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yes.. I know.. but i swear by this stuff and it has worked for me before with a weep on the interior heater core around 10 years ago that is still fixed.

Then, in the New Year I will start looking at a replacement ally radiator the same as i have now. I can't remember the one i bought, but it doesn't have the tranny cooler section as I have a seperate larger Derale cooler for that.

Ive also got to go over the whole vehicle and just start doing some tidying up and maintenance. I noticed im getting a little exhaust blow by at the flange joint between the headers and exhaust.
My distributor is also chirping slightly.

She is still going great, but just needs a little TLC over summer.

Cheers,
Old 06-01-2024
AJOR Gold

Thought it about time to update things concerning my Jeep, so hello everyone and happy new year.

Last year I replaced the alloy radiator with another alloy one. I could see a tiny weep and always smelt coolant as I was walking around the beast. All good now. I had a bit of a bucket list of minor stuff I had to do around the vehicle to keep it running all nice and smooth. Changed out plugs, oil etc..

One thing I did have to do was swap out the starter motor. The other one just sort of died and cranking was very slow. I actually thought it was a low battery a few times before if figured it out. Repco wanted about $300, so I got one on Ebay in a few days for about $130.

Today I blew an idler pulley bearing. Its a 6203 RS bearing and can be swapped out in the metal pulley. Repco wants $60 now for the pulley, so I may just keep the Jeep off the road a few days and order a $10 Japanes bearing and just swap it out. I was lucky to make it home, as I was at the airport aroung 50 kilometers away when it completely crapped itself. Rubber smoke on the freeway, then horrible squeeling etc. Internals of bearing completely missing. Outside of pulley just sort of spun on its bolt and I just prayed as I drove home. Good old Jeep built like a tank.

Cheers...
Old 15-01-2024
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Is that the one that uses a Ford part ?

Dude, I have noticed that Repco SERIOUSLY overcharge for almost everything, we have multiple auto stores within 5mins
Post New Thread  Reply