New Battery Required for WK2 Diesel Overland - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

I ended up going on the SSB site and found a seller here in Adelaide(it wasnt the Ebay link but they both had the same suburb as there address) he quoted $379 and free delivery in 3 hours.Should be home by the time I finish work.
The Ebay link said he had no stock and would be here in 6 days so that's why I went with the Adelaide supplier, 41 C here today that's Hot.................

Last edited by Surnturf; 18-01-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 27-01-2018
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm about to replace my battery and looking at the options you guys have mentioned.

Are there any issues when fitting it yourself? e.g. I read somewhere that the seat has to come out to get access, hopefully not!

Also, are there any "system" problems when disconnecting these batteries? From what I can see there is no radio security code needed on re-connection.
Old 27-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts

There will be zero problems Southern Comfort, just go easy removing and installing tilt battery to remove and install. Just have drivers seat fully forward.
Old 28-01-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Alternator/battery problem.

Just a thought, could the alternator problem be a result of the battery reaching the end of its useful life.
The problem seems to be occurring when the GC is a couple+ years old and if demands are being made on the steering electric pump and the battery doesn't have enough amp output, the alternator would be asked to put in the difference.
I realise the alternator should be designed to cope with this, but maybe if all is not 110%, the diodes fail under the constant load.
I don't know what amps the pump motors draw but it must be pretty substantial.
I could be totally barking up the wrong tree, but as I said it was just a thought!!
Have any of these alternators gone with a new battery in the vehicle or only older ones, even if they seem good batteries??
Old 28-01-2018
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywal View Post
Just a thought, could the alternator problem be a result of the battery reaching the end of its useful life.
The problem seems to be occurring when the GC is a couple+ years old and if demands are being made on the steering electric pump and the battery doesn't have enough amp output, the alternator would be asked to put in the difference.
I realise the alternator should be designed to cope with this, but maybe if all is not 110%, the diodes fail under the constant load.
I don't know what amps the pump motors draw but it must be pretty substantial.
I could be totally barking up the wrong tree, but as I said it was just a thought!!
Have any of these alternators gone with a new battery in the vehicle or only older ones, even if they seem good batteries??
An interesting question Johnnywal, it will useful to read the answers. Having keenly read all the threads/posts on this topic I've been trying to fathom which component is breaking down first, battery or alternator. It's got to the point where I've decided to replace both before one or the other gets me stuck. Main rationale being, my car is 5 y/o next month and to the best of my knowledge battery and alternator are both original. My only symptoms so far are some slightly weird electrickery with wipers etc, but tomorrow I'm replacing the battery and having the alternator tested until I can find a suitable replacement. I thought I'd found one until realising it's only 180amps and I believe oem spec is 220amps, so it would be likely to struggle.
Old 29-01-2018
RubiconSlammer

Check out my Ride(s)

Update on alternator:
Last week one Jeep dealer told me there is a 4-6 week back order delay to get an oem alternator for the car. The parts dept. at another dealer told me this morning there are 140 units in stock at the distributors and delivery would take a couple of days. So I ordered one and booked the car in for installation next week. My slightly cynical view is, are the dealers looking up the right part for the right car? Hard to tell, but I suspect some of these guys can't differentiate between diesel and petrol components - sloppy. Petrol alternators, not surprisingly are in short supply, but it seems diesel ones do exist. At least this dealer bothered to cross check the stock number against my VIN and it matched. If the diesel alternator isn't eventually recalled by Jeep I'll be $1400 down, but at least I'll have a new alternator, peace of mind, and the old unit which can be rebuilt and held on standby.

Have to say it's not been a pleasant experience dealing with the service depts so far, their don't care attitude and lack of organisation is frankly deplorable. Even the dealer that will be doing the job for me tried to get payment for the alternator up front "in case you don't show up and we're stuck with it". As if. I agreed only to pay in full when I pick the car up with job done. They relented. Just hope they get it right.

Also had a new battery fitted today. Did my shoulder last night, so abandoned the DIY idea and got RACV Batteries in instead. They arrived within about 45 mins of my call and installed an AGM 850CCA for $425 all up. The RACV guy couldn't believe the car still started on the old (factory original) battery as it tested only 76CCA! it had just about had it, so just in the nick of time. While he was here he also tested the alternator and said it was ok at present, but any alternator test is only a snapshot of the moment. Next moment, or under load, it could be different story and you won't know until the dreaded warning light comes on.

Last edited by SouthernComfort; 29-01-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 29-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Some good intel in here, thanks for sharing.