Urgent Help - Service shifter and power steering fault - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Update - FCAs contact form doesn't work and it hasn't worked for about 2 weeks, they weren't too interested on the phone about my issue as "they are not mechanics the dealer will look after the problem.

City Jeep this morning said that those warning messages aren't related to the alternator recall and its the transmission. I asked them why the power steering and EBS alarms then?

This afternoon they believe it's the power steering pump! But waiting for full report tomorrow, yet again no answer if its power steering what about the gearbox faults! They will have to charge me diagnostics, they spent about 2 hours but will charge me just one. Seems abit strange, if its not your fault why do me favours?

What to do? I hate to see what they're going to quote to replace the power steering pump and obviously that's not going to solve the problem?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 73 Posts

Tell them that you need to see the codes thrown prior to authorising work... and tell them to re-terminate the visibly burnt alternator feed. It's clearly not in sound condition.
Old 10-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Tell them that you need to see the codes thrown prior to authorising work
How would they present said codes? Would it be a print off from the diagnostics software? Isn't it just going to give a power steering code, like what EVIC message?

Its not storing the messages so they're just addressing the current fault.

Old 10-12-2018
CrawlerStar

Codes from interrogation may be more specific than dash messages, and there will very likely be more than what you have seen on the EVIC. The order they occur in would also be informative.

Codes are always stored (some self-reset in time). If they told you there are none they are bullshitting you. I'm not sure if they are set up to print them, but if they haven't been cleared they could at least take a photo of the display monitor.

My warning senses would be on full alert by now.
bjm
Old 10-12-2018
CrawlerStar

- Has the cable termination been repaired?
- Is the car now drivable?
Old 10-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post

Codes are always stored (some self-reset in time). If they told you there are none they are bullshitting you. I'm not sure if they are set up to print them, but if they haven't been cleared they could at least take a photo of the display monitor.

My warning senses would be on full alert by now.
Sorry the EVIC messages are disappearing after turning vehicle off. As in theres no transmission or EBS messages when i restarted car today.

Old 11-12-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Jeeps Description: "Checked for fault codes (found codes present). Checked for any service bulletins, and star cases relating to customers concern found Case no: 51308000342. When connecting to wi-tech found no communication with electric power steering system. Carried out inspection as per the star case steps relating to G907A earth connection and star connector, no faulty connections found. Checked and tested electrical connection from power steering pump and found power present in the battery. Inspected post remote jump positive fuse condition no open fuses found. Inspected fuse in power distribution box, found to be in good condition. Inspected star connector at can bus found connections to be nice and tight, also carried out tension on each pin. Inspected inline body/ headlamp dash connection pin NO37, no wear or damage found. Inspected G907A earth connection. Found oil in between main connecter and power steering motor. Cleaned oil from connector. Found that the power steering motor has an internal fault and requires replacement to resolve customers concern."

Won't give me the fault codes, sounds probable, "going into limp mode causes the changing gears and electrical fault cause multiple warning messages"

They can do a trade replacement pump for $1,600 if I can wait 4-5days or $2000 tomorrow, +2.5hrs labour. All Grand Cherokee Spares can do a secondhand unit for $900 with 6 months warranty, but I'm guessing if the pump doesn't fix the problem Jeeps not going very helpful with rectifying?
Post New Thread  Reply