Winter Jeep KJ Diesel - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-05-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Winter Jeep KJ Diesel

Hi all,

Taking my first trip to see snow (Perisher) for the first time in 18 years, in my 2006 Jeep KJ Diesel. Living in Brisbane currently so never had to worry about the cold.

Will be using 5w-40 synthetic oil and additive for the fluid wiper.
I heard a lot about using Alpine Diesel when I get to Jindabyne / Perisher, but wasn't sure if I should be using any other additives to help in the cold weather. I heard some use Chemtech Diesel Power that may help.

I also read that the fuel lines and diesel filter should be insulated. I currently run a small external 12v fuel pump.

Also not sure about snow chains as I could only use it in the back (not enough clearance at front due to larger tyres). Are the poly zip ties types any good?

Tyres are Yokohama Geolandar At 255/70/16.

Feel free to leave me some tips as I would rather over do it than end up in trouble.

Kris
Old 25-05-2018

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've used Icebreaker additive when Alpine diesel was not available locally and it got into the negatives for a spell. Never had a problem but may not have without it... But being overly cautious I felt better for using it and having it in the fuel lines before it got too cold.
Old 25-05-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 138 Times in 89 Posts

So you are staying above the snow line?

If just visiting higher altitudes during the day where sub zero temperatures dont occur for the whole day not really necessary. If staying overnight above snow line for a few nights alpine deisel then highly advisable. Used to regularly visit and stay in various resorts and never used any additives (only alpine deisel) and never had any issues.

Alpine deisel is either a kerosene or heating oil mix of approx 30% plus kerosene. Highland deisel is about 20% kero. Easy enough to blend yourself if you want to tip 20 lit of kero down your half full tank. If you just top up at the nearest town you will need at least 3/4 of a tankfull of alpine deisel to give complete protection, no use just topping up the top 1/4 of the tank as your overall concentration of kero to deisel volume will be quite low.

Some resorts allow entry without chains on certain days. Mount Buller in Victoria for example allows some day trippers to enter without chains if conditions are suitable, but if staying overnight on the mountain they must be carried. Check with the resort you are visiting.

http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/sn...in-declaration

Yes, preferable to go on the front if 4WD, but if you cant fit them to front make sure you can fit some to the back.

Have fun..

Last edited by Mace1; 25-05-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 25-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Hi KJ75,

Since you're headed to Perisher in NSW you don't have to carry chains in a 4WD, it's up to personal preference. You can carry them if you like, but I never have and I've been up there in some pretty icy conditions. The big tip, if they're making 2WD vehicles fit chains, put it in 4WD (full time if it seems OK, high range if it's icy).

Pretty much all the service stations between here (Canberra) and the snow will be on winter mix, so you won't have to worry about whether to put it in or not.

Feel free to drop in and say hi on the way through Canberra. Always happy to meet more KJ drivers.
Old 25-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you are staying above the snowline make sure your battery and glow plugs are in good shape.
Fluids sounds like you have it under control, not sure if you run the heavy oil in the back diff but if you do either change it to the lighter one before you go or take is easy for a short time after setting off so the oil can warm up and lube everything properly.
Pull your wipers off the glass if you stay overnight, stops them freezing to the windscreen
Old 26-05-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks to all for the great tips.

Planning to see Canberra, Sydney, Thredbo and Perisher. Will be staying Jindabyne for 4 night and head to the mountains from there.

Took a chance using AirBnb, but the accommodation at Jindabyne was a killer due to peak season. We will also checkout the Moree hot springs to defrost. My kids (8 and 11) have never seen snow, and they can hardly wait.

I have the snow chain sorted thanks to Gumtree, but sounds like I won't need it. The snow gear and warm clothes cost an arm and leg, and the kids are still growing.

Good tip around the diff oil and I am in fact using the heavy stuff but it's synthetic, and hoping it won't be an issue. Not sure if I should change it to the lighter stuff, as I only changed it 4 months ago.

Couldn't get any antifreeze here in QLD for the wipers fluid, but hopefully find some closer to Canberra. I will also keep an eye out for Icebreaker. Someone mentioned Chemtech Diesel Power can help with cold starts but it's unconfirmed. Thinking I may have to carry around some Kero just in case.

I have 178000km on the Jeep but the glow plugs are stock, and not sure what state they are in as it never gets cold here in Brisbane. In fact I don't recall seeing the Glow plug light. I scanned for errors using my OBD scanner but no faults reported. The battery is 6 months old Optima Red.

Is there a way to easily check glow plug operation, as I never had any issues starting and no errors reported with OBD scanner ?

Last edited by KJ75; 26-05-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 27-05-2018
Established Member

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

KJ75 you can always glow it a couple of times to be sure, I used to on my old '84 4Runner I had about 8 years ago. You'll be fine, there's plenty of cars with way more kms on them around here running on the original glow plugs.

You're down in Jindabyne too, so it won't be as cold as up on the mountain. There was a good tip with the wipers earlier in the thread, make sure to leave them up over night or if it's cold and snowing up on the mountain as they will freeze to the windscreen.

A good idea on the way down would be to grab a cheap ice scraper from Supercheap or similar, as it's way easier than using a credit card/plastic card to try and clear the ice from the windscreen with cold fingers every morning.