WJ lift kit problem - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WJ lift kit problem

I purchased an iron man lift kit for my wj mid december last year. it improved the typical WJ vagueness on the road and generally made it handle much much better, however I am experiencing a few problems.

The rear iron man gas shocks keep playing up. The first time it happened was just over 300klms travelled. The rear shocks started to squeak rather annoyingly. I pulled the shocks out to check them and noticed that one of the shocks appeared lazy and was a lot slower to extend than the other, this shock also squeaked badly while twisting etc. I took both back to the place I purchased from and they ordered in a replacement.

A week later I got the new shock and fitted it to the car, all was well again or so I thought. I moved to QLD and shortly after arriving noticed that the damn squeak was back again, this time from the other original rear shock which wasnt replaced and it looks like I have to go through the whole process all over again. If these things will only last 1200 klms or so before they develop problems I dont think I want them on my car as I havent even been offroad yet and they fail.

So two questions, anyone else having similar problems with Iron Man shocks?

If I was to ditch these things what should I fit in there place, what are people using that work and are reliable?

I havent totally given up on Iron Man yet as they are still under warranty but seriously thinking about it and any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jas
Old 24-05-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Im using bilstiens 5150 ,they are good but pricey.I think Ranchos are good for a cheaper alternative.
Old 25-05-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

There is a pair of REAR RANCHO 5 way adjustables on ebay from Bowers for $66, 9008 is the model, (they have big backstock) I have a 2-3 inch lift and they adjust from 36cm-55cm and my car currently rides at 50cm so just enough stretch to make em work...
And youy can adjust them 800% differnce from 1-5...

Other wise Tough dog are great - especially the TD Sterring Stabilser - Removed ALL my death wobbels no worries - never had them again thank god...
Old 25-05-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the Rancho steering stabiliser which I find is great.

I pulled the rear shocks off tonight which have done around 3000klms since fitting in december and sure enough the back left is stuffed. Its squeaky on the seal and takes around 2 minutes to extend fully from full compression. Not HAPPY!!!!

I have put the factory Jeep ones back in for now and will chase up Iron Man direct as this is ridiculous. It would appear its a bad batch of shocks.

I cant find an Ebay user called Bowers are they aussie or overseas vendor.

Jas
Old 26-05-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,364 Posts

I've had to swap one of my rear Ironman shocks for the same problem, but over the years I've had failures from Bilstein and Gabriel, I just thought Murphys Law.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-05-2009
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ironman products are low quality junk and a total waste of money stock height oe suspension would be better and more robust than ironman suspension
Old 31-05-2009
OG Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexytj View Post
ironman products are low quality junk and a total waste of money stock height oe suspension would be better and more robust than ironman suspension
I hate to say it but I agree with flexy on this one, I probably wouldn't have put it as blunt as he did but would have basiclly had the same outcome.