advice on replacing waterpump - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-04-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 538 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
You don't need to touch the AC compressor to remove the waterpump at all, you only need to undo the lower power steering bracket bolt a few turns to allow it to move slightly, thats all.....
Thanks JJ, thats a reassuring thought! I was already wondering why everybody was saying this was such an easy job. But I'll unbolt the two holding the powersteering bracket to the waterpump and the one below you mentioned just a few turns and wiggle it somewhat loose.
And I was already thinking about doing something like that 3ply thing you adviced, especially since this will be my first time
Old 13-04-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheResistance View Post
As long as the gasket covers the metal on the thermostat housing that makes direct contact with the block..
I take it you meant the waterpump, not the thermostat housing?
Old 13-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Yes meant waterpump. Too much pizza - can't think straight.
Old 13-04-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

JJ, do you also have to remove/loosen the upper bolts on the steering pump to be able to get the water pump off, or will the two front bolts taken out (and the bottom one loosened) allow to wiggle the wp out?
Old 13-04-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I find that removing the 3 bolts from the power steering pump and then moving it out of the way makes it a lot easier, I generally sit it up on the intake manifold.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 13-04-2013
Jingle ALL the way...

[QUOTE=junglejuice;1373563]I find that removing the 3 bolts from the power steering pump and then moving it out of the way makes it a lot easier, I generally sit it up on the intake manifold.....[/QUOTE

But how do you remove the lower steeringpump bracket bolt then, the one down by the AC compressor, if you dont remove the comp?? mine cant be taken out because it needs more room backing out to do so (sorry for asking this, just dont want to get stuck with it)
Old 13-04-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Ok I Remove the fan, shroud, belt and radiator support panel.
Then I undo the 3 retaining bolts on the power steering pump as well as the pipe retaining bolt over by the alternator, this allows the power steering pump to moved out of the way.
Next I undo the 2x bolts that hold the power steering bracket to the water pump, then I undo the lower bolt in the power steering bracket that is down near the AC compressor, it only needs to be backed off a few turns and there is room to get a ring spanner in there to do this.

You don't need to remove the AC compressor or the power steering bracket to swap the waterpump, you just need the power steering bracket to move out of the way slightly!!!!

Once this is done remove hoses from the water pump and then remove the water pump.
Clean the seal surface on the block and then reverse the above steps...

From memory the bolts (socket size) for the power steering pump are 13mm, the pipe retaining clamp bolt is 10mm, the power steering bracket bolts are 14mm, water pump is 13mm, the radiator support panel is 10mm, the shroud is 8mm and the fan is 13mm or 1/2".....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Post New Thread  Reply