XJ Blues - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-04-2020
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default XJ Blues

Hoping for some advice and inspiration regarding whether to keep my 96 XJ in action, as I've become somewhat depressed about it of late!

Spent quite a bit of money in the 3 yrs I've had it...roof edge rust being a major woe recently. Removed the front drive shaft to address a rotational 'thunk' noise which I fear is transfer case related; and am not wanting to use it for a door stop forever!

Given I'm stuck in a horrid caravan park for the time being, where I'm on the outer and car-maintenance is frowned upon; am not sure what the cheapest/most logical way forward regarding 4x4 assessment and repair. The mechanic is more than happy to hand him the reins of course!

I love the vehicle, and would like it to live on...given the time and money I've put in...I guess I'm just writing in the hope someone can give me a pep-talk...or perhaps put me out of my misery!

Cheers, Jude.

Last edited by Jimmyb; 16-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 26-04-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Sounds like your in a bit of a jam there. Not much info to go on in regard to your mechanical aptitude, availability of tools, people that you know nearby etc..
What is the engine/transmission/transfer case combination?
Mine has the NP242 with full time/part time selection on the interior shift stick. There is also a red badge on the transfer case that tells you what it is.

You do need to ascertain what your actual problem is. Does the noise go away when you remove the front shaft? Do you have a slip yoke eliminator in the rear of the transfer case? as you can remove the rear shaft and drive in Full Time just using the front shaft. Does the noise come and go when on the dirt in 4WD. Have you checked the fluid level?

If it is just the transfer case, then the choice is rebuild it (very easy), or replace it (cheap and easy).

Do you have somewhere you can park the car just for the day. A transfer case swap will only take a few hours and minimal tools. My VSB14 thread shows the tools and technique for swapping it out and rebuilding it.

Does your XJ have a bit of a lift, where you can crawl under? If so, even in a caravan park, you can get under early morning and have it out in an hour. Then rebuild it in stealth in your van, or swap it out for another one.

What you need to do is come up with a plan first. If it is the transfer case, then search Gumtree and Ebay, local wreckers etc.. for a known good one. Even folk on here could get you one. Or.. go on RockAuto and order a rebuild kit.

Then, either rebuild/swap yourself, or have your mechanic do it.

If you XJ is a bit low to get under, then cheap ramps can be had for under $50 on Gumtree. I got mine for $25 for another car.

I reckon you could do the whole job in and out in 2-3 hours with minimal tools on a Weekend morning. Just plan first and make sure you have the tools and lubricants, rags, a sheet to lay on, perhaps some ramps and a read up of how to do it.

Hope this gives you some inspiration. You can read my VSB14 thread for ideas on almost every part of the Jeep, as i have spent years pulling apart everything, and cleaning/replacing parts. Easy and cheap to work on, once you know where to source parts.

I understand you cannot work on the Jeep in the caravan park, but you can work on it up the road, at a friends, etc.. or tinker when the manager is not around.

Any other problems, post them on here and i am sure we can all chip in and help.

Cheers,
Old 26-04-2020
AJOR Gold

Plenty of parts on this Jeep and not toooo far from you....

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cres...kee/1223237089

Cheers,
Old 26-04-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

It's a 96 it will be a classic 4x4 next year .. keep it I would hate to try and add up the $ I have spent on mine in the last 7 years since I bought it for $750 just about everything has gone wrong just look up my posts It might look like a POS But I wouldn't part with it I know every nut and bolt on it and if it makes a noise I know what's wrong and can fix it most times or if I have to pay a mechanic I tell him and supply the parts (from rockauto)
Keep IT!
FIX IT!
ENJOY IT!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 27-04-2020
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the boosts of optimism - appreciated - I'm good at worry!
The TC is a 242 I believe - 'selec-trac' like yours:

I don't think it has a slip yoke eliminator - was very much stock when I bought it.
I believe there to have been probs with 4x4 since I bought it, as it got stuck in hi4 when i test drove it - the seller claiming it was just stiff because of not being used recently.
I was fearful using it due to circumstances since then, but when I did, very troublesome getting it to change selections, and nigh on impossible to get into low range(grinding)...or back out. Read about rolling, turning and reversing etc to help disengage which helped some. And how the linkage is problematic, but despite much adjusting, never found happy place.
After little use in hi 4 a burnt oil sort of smell was apparent...concerning clues which highlighted my ignorance.
I changed all fluids when I bought it.

I lifted the jeep an inch or two, and didn't lower the TC, and it wasn't that long after that the rotational noise developed - not a clunk, more a light thunking! - which increased with speed. I feel the lift may have hastened the failure of an existing issue. Took the shaft off to try and establish cause...was worried about front diff...noise seemed to be coming from front left region...no noise or issues with it removed.
Mechanic said shaft/joints looked fine, and TC prob. the source, and that noise location can be deceptive; but he would need the shaft back on and some money to investigate further.
Someone mentioned TC bearing perhaps or rebuild...I was hoping there'd be a possible best case scenario, but fear a rebuild is the solution.

I like doing things myself - suits my pauper status at present too - and would prefer to have it rebuilt as I hate throw away lifestyle, but am baulking at the challenge for a number of reasons(health, wealth and circumstance, tools/ability); and don't have definitive diagnosis either...so've been treading water. Strikes me as a shame to have such a vehicle without it's main feature, and I would like to be able to do some more adventuring.
Thanks again for the support, feels good to not be ignoring it any longer...and relieved to know Rock Auto has started delivery to Oz again!
Cheers, J.
Old 27-04-2020
AJOR Gold

At only a few inches of lift, you don’t have to worry about a TC drop. There is a rubber mount between the TC and cross brace. This can get flogged out and is worth replacing. Just need a socket set and your jack. As your noise goes when you remove the drive shaft, it could be a simple uni joint. Check/replace the left axle one and check/replace the ones on the front shaft. The front shaft is a double cardon style with a Center ball as well. You could keep an eye out for a spare good shaft and swap it in to see if it makes a difference. My TC is hard to select too. Usually just stop/start/reverse etc. The TC is a pretty solid unit. They are cheap to buy second hand, and are only held on with 6 bolts. I would look at the uni joints, keep adjusting the linkage, and if no luck, swap in another np242.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Cheers,
Old 27-04-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

I obtained one for my '96 for $75 from a lister in the "spares" section here

( I did offer a bloke who lived 5minutes away $30 for his, as it needed an overhaul..he knocked me back..should have took my money mate lol)

thats so I can just bolt up a replacement in one day if mine goes out

here is a youtube of an R&R + overhaul...to my mind you need a decent tool kit, physical strength, and mechanical experience to do this job without a well set up garage..meanwhile your vehicle is off the road

Post New Thread  Reply