Oil Cooler failure - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-04-2023
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sorry to be sticking my oar in (above), I know I'm not currently a Jeep owner, but still an enthusiast recalling from experience, and fully supporting what the real experts in here are advising.
Old 28-04-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Your years of ownership experience make your comments more than relevant...you yourself had lots of preventative maintance carried out on your WK2 by Guru's...that gives us the 'heads up' and we are very thankful for your input...thank you and ENJOY that 'Euro drive'.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 28-04-2023
Senior Newbie

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort View Post
Sorry to be sticking my oar in (above), I know I'm not currently a Jeep owner, but still an enthusiast recalling from experience, and fully supporting what the real experts in here are advising.
No need to apologise SouthernComfort! Appreciate the advice.

I spoke to the mech re hoses, I asked and he said he was using aftermarket hose for the 'valley hose', he said the OEM part is ridiculously expensive and obviously not very good as they fail so regularly.

He isn't changing the EGR cooler hose or the turbo cooler hose on my instruction as they aren't leaking and right now I can't justify adding more $ to a $6K bill.
Old 28-04-2023
Senior Newbie

Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Keep looking at changing mine out as a precaution against this sort of thing happening, done over 180k in my 2014 now.
Just unsure about the aftermarket coolers and if Im going to regret using one of these as far as reliability goes?
How big a problem is the oil coolers or is it just another hit & miss problem with these VM's?

If it helps, in hindsight - when I noticed my coolant wasn't looking anything other than perfect and the overflow bottle bright white (like it was 6 months ago) and at the correct level in my ecodiesel I'd have taken it in and changed the oil cooler immediately.
Old 28-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

I have a routine since well a long way back that every Sunday (roughly) I lift the bonnet and have a squiz for things not right, snail trails, sooty bits and stuff, look in the header tank for anything untoward.......... bash plates are good catch spots for showing things as well........ the recent tranny plug fail showed up as oil spots around the guards which led me to look underneath and find it before it dumped on the road.

I have numbers for the EGR coolant hose and some aftermarket ones but if anyone can confirm the ID for both ends of the hose it would help my confirmation of off the rack hoses........ currently Mopar 68253365AA is supposed to be the one and I have a Gates and Mackay numbers as well.... have heard it has different ID for each end need real time confirmation not he said/she said..........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 29-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Amazing the number of WK diesels I have looked at with rs coolant! I would say this would also have a bearing on the life of the oil cooler as they are alloy.!
Old 29-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Amazing the number of WK diesels I have looked at with rs coolant! I would say this would also have a bearing on the life of the oil cooler as they are alloy.!
Its the case all over as the coolant says its good for 150K/250K/300K km so nobody change sit, I'm a 100K km dump fella myself unless Ive drained it at sometime............. you would think the hot shot designers of engines would make it an easy job to drain and change coolant since it really is an important part of things, the destructive properties of bad coolant is usually overlooked. Bad engine earth will also cause rot inside..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply