Oil Cooler failure - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

Pictures of my "spare" oil cooler off ebay. This looks like it would be pretty difficult to bolt up to the support keeping that gasket in place...even with goo holding it...
There isn't a lot of separation between the coolant inlet / outlet and the oil inlet / outlet, so wouldn't be hard to get contamination if not very careful....pretty crappy design imo...

Last edited by Jeeper6; 02-05-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Hmmm...finicky lookin thingy...is removal of the entire oil filter and oil cooler housing recommended in the replacement process ???....ie: remove the lot...bolt/fit together on bench to allow correct alignment, then refit to engine ???
Just curious ???.
Looks very easy to get it wrong if fitted onto oil filter housing whilst still in the engine bay.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 02-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

I am guessing the housing part must have a cutout where the gasket sits inside...as does the support housing where it bolts to the block.

...they must usually do just the cooler alone with the actual support housing insitu, as I recall when I had the cooler replaced on my previous Jeep, the comment was made when I turned up with the whole housing to replace, that it would involve more work for the mechanic. They didn't charge me any more than the original quoted price for labour though...
Old 02-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

and I thought the one on the Merc 2.7 was bad..........

I think if needed, I will remove the whole oil cooler/filter unit and replace the cooler on the bench as the gasket/O ring on the housing to engine looks to recessed and a bit easier to fit, probably just as hard to get at the bolts though...Page 4109 in the WSM.

Should be noted that the part number has been changed to 68525212AA so they may have gone to another manufacturer or design change from earlier, this is for 2014-20 WK2's, it is the whole assembly cooler and filter, cooler on its own isn't a listings, appears aftermarket only for just the cooler........... so one would assume a genuine cooler only may be a pre loved unit or aftermarket...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 02-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Yeah, i would be worried about getting the thing right too if fitting just the cooler, sooo much easier on a bench...just need to make sure you had a new gasket for the housing to block at the time as well.

When I bought the whole oil cooler assembly in October '21, it was Chrysler Jeep part number 46343219, called a "Support"...retail price was $1462.96 plus GST. It came with the oil filter and the two sensors fitted for oil pressure and oil temperature.

(A "design" change would have been a very good idea eh, but I bet it still has that crappy multi plate type cooler assembly on it prone to failure...)

I was watching a You Tube video the other day where a fellow was changing the whole oil cooler assembly on his "Ecodiesel" RAM, which he said had 194,000 miles on it, was still going fine but was "preventative" maintenance...said the part was $300.00 from a Dealer...if only!

Last edited by Jeeper6; 02-05-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts

Hmmm.... $300 USD Dealer bought in the States...but, near $1500 AUD in Oz...me smells 'rip off'...curiosity will get the better of me...down the track...dont know that my old model MY13 is suffering from the same fate and a li'l unsure as to why they fail....'luck of the draw' is not real assuring...mine is plated biult 11/12 compliance MY13....some of the MY13's are right in the 'cross over' stage....mine doesnt have the 'newer' bits n pieces that seem to have caused lots of issues...no valley hose, turbo coolant hose, delaminating sensor...to name a few...but...it does (did) have the 'dry jionts' in the TCCM and the on going Fuel Pump Relay issues....TCCM has been in for 40k n this set up with a li'l 'backyard engineering' on the Relay has lasted 20kish...not sure...but quite a while...then there's the 'vibrating windscreen rubber' and the flogged out rear upper Shocky mounts....adding the catch can (thanks Jeeper6) has certainly seen a decrease in 'burns'....purely going by fan speeds at shut down (no tech monitoring involved)....not to much in comparison to some vehicles Ive owned.....changing a lower radiator hose (a very common weak point) on my brides early '90's V8 Disco is a nightmare that wont go away and I still have the scars to remind me....silliest piece of engineering I think Ive ever seen...who cuts a hole in a lower radiator hose to insert, then vulcanise, another hose (header tank feed hose) inside the lower radiator hose, leaving a huge 'dag' internal of that hose ???....say what ?... I'm sure your asking...I ended up re-engineering the set up with stainless pipe, t-piece, silicone hoses and REAL Clamps....NEVER leaked/blew a hose again(after the two times I had replaced the original set up)...a mate bought it n is still 'bashing it through Nth. Qld'....our brand may have its 'issues'....but....others arent that much better and at times are MUCH more expensive to fix the 'common weak points'

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 02-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Thats the Fiat part number they start with 4 and have an F on the end .......

The whole assembly is USD$486.20 (AUD$725) at Mopar Parts Giant, normally USD$738 (AUD$1086) add some freight and crapolla.. just buy 2 Ebayers and cross your fingers I reckon........... none on Rockauto.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...Overland%204WD)

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply