2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2024
Senior Newbie

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I can confirm there is no wire fault between injector #1 and ECM.
Wasn't too hard once I worked out that there is a handle on the plug to pull first before you pry it off.

I will try obtain a second hand ECM from my wrecker contact and update this forum if it works. If you don't hear from me then I am probably still scratching my head.

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by BrokenJeep; 08-02-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2024
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,571 Times in 4,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenJeep View Post

I can confirm there is no wire fault between injector #1 and ECM.
Wasn't too hard once I worked out that there is a handle on the plug to pull first before you pry it off.

I will try obtain a second hand ECM from my wrecker contact and update this forum if it works. If you don't hear from me then I am probably still scratching my head.

Cheers
Tom
You may wish to check to make sure that your VIN is not programed into your ECM. On later jeeps it is & I suspect You may find a problem with the SKIM etc not wanting to talk to the replacement ECM.
I have never messed around with the ECM. Yours maybe a 92 pin one. There are 3 different ECM's all with different numbers of pins.
Old 11-02-2024
Senior Newbie

I was in 2 minds in what to do but now I am certain I will change the injection pump to mechanal.
Mainly for reliability and I can do the conversion cheaper than a new Ecu.
I will unfortunately loose the immobiliser but can install an after market one.

Just took it for a blat before and I got 9psi in 5th gear too. Lots of blue smoke behind me too :O probably the piston rings.
It's always smoked a bit so nothing new.

Cheers
Tom
Old 11-02-2024
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
I was in 2 minds in what to do but now I am certain I will change the injection pump to mechanal.
Mainly for reliability and I can do the conversion cheaper than a new Ecu.
I will unfortunately loose the immobiliser but can install an after market one.

Just took it for a blat before and I got 9psi in 5th gear too. Lots of blue smoke behind me too :O probably the piston rings.
It's always smoked a bit so nothing new.

Cheers
Tom
It sounds like its not the ECU if the boost is going that high.
If you go for a non electronic pump, you may have a problem with injector timing & advance.
Were you below 1750 rpm?
If so, did it die when it got to 1750?
Have you blown back your fuel line?
Disconnect the feed line from the filter, take the filler cap off & blow the line back with an air hose.
Dont do it with a full tank! Best less than 1/4 tank.
Leave it overnight so any muck that has been blown off the strainer settles.
The smoke when you gave it a burst maybe oil in the intercooler cleaning out.
This warm weather should have it running well.
Being a 2000, yours should have 2 temp sensors. You could try swapping the leads to see if there is any change.
If you have ring issues, it wont start easy.
Do you have the EGR blocked off? You need a blank plate between the EGR & the inlet manifold. A piece of tin can is good.
Just my thoughts.
I have a spyder tune box that I have not used as mine goes well enough.
If you want more go, let me know.
Old 21-02-2024
Senior Newbie

Real weird but I used my jeep to winch down a tree, left it idling for 30 mins got it nice and warm. As I was towing the tree into my paddock I noticed it had some power. Planted my foot down and it got sideways on my gravel driveway. Went for a blat and it performed like it used to. Perhaps all my fiddling with Ecu etc worked. (slightly annoying but I'm happy its going)
I'm mind blown right now, it's been offline for approx 9 months.
It's a 99 model, I think it just has the single temp sensor.
Egr was deleted 15+ years ago.
Runs 14psi boost.

What's the spyder tune box? Does it replace the Ecu?
Cheers
Old 21-02-2024
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Quote:
Real weird but I used my jeep to winch down a tree, left it idling for 30 mins got it nice and warm. As I was towing the tree into my paddock I noticed it had some power. Planted my foot down and it got sideways on my gravel driveway. Went for a blat and it performed like it used to. Perhaps all my fiddling with Ecu etc worked. (slightly annoying but I'm happy its going)
I'm mind blown right now, it's been offline for approx 9 months.
It's a 99 model, I think it just has the single temp sensor.
Egr was deleted 15+ years ago.
Runs 14psi boost.

What's the spyder tune box? Does it replace the Ecu?
Cheers
I like the sound of what your jeep is now doing!

Best you google about the tune box. Its what some call a tuning chip. It is specific to our engine. You attach it to a number of leads going to the ECU. Its a spider adaptivscan. Made by Diesel Tuning Co in the UK.
It has 7 different settings.
The power & torque increases are substantial.