Front strut removal. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Front strut removal.

Looking having a go at removing the front struts to replace them with some Ironman ones that have the removable yoke on the bottom for easy replacement as I have a leaking RH front shock.
Looked at the link that Drover posted and it looks pretty straight forward with one hitch, cracking the balljoint on the top wishbones.
The front springs have sagged 15 mm which is not too bad; I don't want a 2" lift, just standard height. I wonder if I can get a 10mm spacer put at the top/bottom on the spring when being reassembled to the strut by a professional suspension guy to bring it back to original ride height. I wouldn't attempt any disassembly/assembly of the strut as I fully realise that is for the professionals!
I have seen balljoint separators that you can purchase, but I am just wondering what type and if anyone out there has attempted this.
I don't have to do it myself but just thought it looked pretty straightforward with the Ironman type and wouldn't mind having a go...........your thoughts?????
Old 05-03-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 304 Times in 190 Posts

Just loosen the nut all the way but don't take it off and whack with a mallet or ball joint fork?
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...or/105533.html
Old 05-03-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks GCDingo, up in Sydney for the week, but when we get home I will check that tool out. I saw it online, but will have an actual look at it after checking the dimensions on the balljoint/wishbone area. I was interested in the thoughts of others.
Old 06-03-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,977 Times in 2,348 Posts

First off run wire brush vigorously around the threads on the ball joint to get rid of the lock tight that Jeep seems to use otherwise the nut will lock solid as you try to remove and you will need a nut cracker to break it off, at least that what happened with mine................ I just ran the nut nearly off and whacked it with a mallet, didn't need my puller or fork................. I see your point of a spacer never liked them.... at 475mm your only 30mm from minimum height and 20mm from whacking the bump stops on Woollies speed bumps......

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 07-03-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2023
MonsterMoose

I went looking thru my cats as I thought I had noticed a listing from someone that actually had the bog standard set springs but can't find it, may have been another vehicle I was looking for.......

Found a set of Dobinson with a 1.5" lift for the petrol C29-120 or the C129-122 with a 2" lift so with the diesel on top would have it down at standard height easily I reckon.

https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/page...t~yr_2011-2022

Last edited by drover; 06-03-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Drover, was having a look on the net and came across this website
mr4x4.com.au There was an article on coil spring spacers.
An interesting read, but I will check out others plus speak to some guys “in the know”!
Old 07-03-2023
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywal View Post
Drover, was having a look on the net and came across this website
mr4x4.com.au There was an article on coil spring spacers.
An interesting read, but I will check out others plus speak to some guys “in the know”!
I was thinking body/wheel spacers before, sorry. Never been a fan of spring spacers, mainly because they just delay the inevitable and you have to spend more money replacing the springs later on, which with struts can add up to a lot of money just on fitting.. of course if you take the struts off yourself and then get a shop to do the spring its a huge saving I can tell you....

Post New Thread  Reply