Installed dual batteries. :-) Car won't start. :-( - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-10-2010
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installed dual batteries. :-) Car won't start. :-(

Long story follows (just to show that I think I'd done everything right) - happy for any advice.

Bought the dual battery tray from Xiphos (see this thread: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=95967 ) - installed it but didn't have the batteries so just put the stock one back in. No worries.

Got the batteries this week with the Redarc and set out on my journey of installation. Now, I've got the two batteries; accessories in the sPod running of the second battery; all the normal stuff on the first battery and the Redarc connected up. Looks just like the following picture but with the extra Redarc cables and accessories going to the second battery:

Anyhoo, got into the car, all the internal stuff powered up (radio, lights, etc.) turned the key - got the usual binging for having the driver's door open and seatbelt not on but the car doesn't turn over.

The cooling fan starts but no starter motor - I can hear a relay clicking when I turn the key to "Start" but that's all.

Hmmm. So I started troubleshooting.

Both batteries had 12v in them but just in case, got the Redarc to tie both batteries together. Still nothing.

Jumpered the original battery to the new one - no go.

Took the Redarc out of the circuit, removed the battery terminals from the new battery and just had the old battery to run on. Still the same.

Checked all the fuses and relays (which isn't fun if you have an sPod - you have to remove the sPod box first). They all look fine. Swapped the starter relay around just for good measure. Still nothing.

Did the On/Off three times thing with the ignition key to check error codes - none. The computer thinks everything is fine.

It's almost as if the starter motor isn't connected anymore - but there are no loose wires and looking at the photo above and old photos I have of my original battery I've got all the wires connected (and I'm 99% sure they are connected to the right places).

So - finally - to a question: what else can I try? Is there some anti-theft thing I don't know about that I have to reset? (2007 Rubicon in case that matters.) Or do I put my pride in a box and call someone who knows what they're doing (Rodgebone may be getting a call from me on Monday if that is the case).

Thanks for reading. Hopefully your Saturday afternoon was better than mine.

B.
Old 17-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Call the RAA or whatever the WA equivalent is?????
IPF 900xs
UHF
285/75x16 KM2s
Snorkel
Old 17-10-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, that's on my list of things to do.

Another thought (just in case anyone is still reading this far) - it's almost as if the car thinks the clutch interlock is engaged. Anyone know where the switch is for the clutch pedal to tell the ECU that the pedal is pressed in?

B.
Old 17-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettski View Post
Yeah, that's on my list of things to do.

Another thought (just in case anyone is still reading this far) - it's almost as if the car thinks the clutch interlock is engaged. Anyone know where the switch is for the clutch pedal to tell the ECU that the pedal is pressed in?

B.
Can rule this out by engaging low range which disables this function. Clicking sounds like a flat battery or maybe you have connected or not connected something right. Modern cars take an enormous amount of oomph to start so maybe you just don't have enough cranking amps. Two batteries at 1/2 won't make a full one either. Double check all your connections are right and have good contact. Check the earth strap as well even though you haven't touched it, it maybe dirty enough to be causing a loss. Unfortunately i haven't done this conversion yet on mine yet or have a wiring diagram so am unable to give any advice on the kit. Is their a fuse in the system that may have been blown? Good luck.
Old 17-10-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds to me like a flat main battery. try a set of jumper leads to a mate's car from your main battery or a power pack if you have one. if with the redarc disconnected and a jump start you have no success, it's time for the experts mate. sometimes you feel silly having to call them for what seems a minor problem but if you play with it too much it is possible to do a lot of damage in the modern computerised car they aren't like an old red motor holden any more, and totally beyond the understanding of the average bloke in the street.
Old 17-10-2010
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

How did you checked the fuses? Pulled them and looked?
Dont think it is the immobiliser, mine starts with a blank key, but stops 5 seconds later, but might be worth trying the other key?

Check if you are getting power to the starter motor...its the little wire all on its own on the side of the stater solenoid. Connect voltmeter/test light between ground and that wire and see if you get power while cranking. If you do ...starter solenoid is stuck or dead. If no power then its more looking!

Matt.
Old 17-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Check that the alternator & starter motors wires are connected to the main battery. Run them back from the alternator and starter motor with your hand. They are easy to overlook and this was the problem that i had when I fitted a dual battery. If not this then I would go with the obvious first - a dud battery. Disconnect the 2nd battery and see if it starts with the main battery -- easy check. Cheers
Post New Thread  Reply