Heavy steering at full lock - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-10-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Heavy steering at full lock

Just got back from Bribie which was pretty good. Just after we got off the beach I noticed the steering intermittently feels real heavy at full lock for example when 90 degree parking it. Definitely out of 4wd so it's not that. No obvious PS fluid leaks, reservoir is full. It does seem like if I rev the engine a bit the steering gets lighter, like the PS pump is putting out more fluid.

Any ideas what these symptoms might be? Seems like there's something not right withe the power steering.

Don't believe we did any significant physical damage - just typical beach driving.
Old 18-10-2010
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Old Mac.. The fact you can rev it up to improve the output, suggests its not the PRV and more likely internal slippage in the pump. Does the fluid smell burnt at all? Dip a finger in and see if there is any silver fleck in the oil?

When its "heavy" can you hear the PRV relieving? (sounds the same as when you go to full lock against the bumpstop)

I recall a few people have had failed pumps and complained of heavier steering before it failed, if you run a search you might find the other threads.

Are you running standard tyres? If not that would be the first thing a dealer would point to to not honour a warranty in the event you stil have one! So if you do get the dealer to look at it in the future then apart from noting the previous peoples issues (ie known fault) then I would be sourcing some standard tyres for the trip!

Goodluck

Matt.
Old 18-10-2010
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

the pumps are common to problems like this, once they get hot the rotor picks up on the alloy backing plate and damages it causing an internal pressre loss, if you stilll have warranty you should be able to get a new one, when you get a new one you should look at fitting a transmission fluid cooler to the p/s system.
Old 18-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you checked the steering damper? Apart from when you mentioned about it seems easier after reving a bit it sound like a classical case of Jk steering damper being bent.
Old 18-10-2010
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its a very common thing to have a stiff steering after beach driving. The little ps pump gets over heated and cause steering stiffness.

Best solution is to put a really good power steering cooler like B&M cooler with fan. It will keep your power steering pump happy and cool along with seals in the steering box.
Old 18-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wrangler is stock standard 07 model and the warranty ran out in March unfortunately. I've recently had the steering damper recall done and it looks to be good as new still - this is something else I looked at.

I sure hope I haven't fecked the pump. It was a rather warm day but being a beach trip there wasn't a lot of corners to turn. I took the cap off the reservoir briefly and didn't notice any flecks but I wasn't looking for them either.

Can't be sure but I think it still did it a little bit when I got home (1.5hrs back from Bribie). Wouldn't have really had a chance to cool down completely from the beach drive. Will take it out tomorrow and see if it's still doing it.
Old 19-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think I have the silver fleck in the PS fluid.

Went around the block today lock to lock and everything felt fine though. Is it possible that it's only a problem when it's overheated?

Should I get the fluid flushed? Is this something I can do myself, or am I wasting money on new fluid if it's likely to by fecked and need reco or replacement?
Post New Thread  Reply