P042E-00 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Stuck Open - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-01-2024
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)
Default P042E-00 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Stuck Open

Hey legends, Chad the Grand has thrown this code a few times now over the last few months. Just trying to get to the bottom of a few things. Doesn't seem to be any chatter on AJOR or the web at all on this.

When: Usually going down hill, foot off the acc. engine at running temp
What: Service ETC and CEL comes on, loss of power, limp mode.
How long: unless I clear the code with JScan, will retain limp for a few hours, then drives ok, CEL stays on.

What else happens: Sometimes accompanied by P0101 mass air flow sensor ""a"" circuit performance

What have I done about it:
- MAP and EGR intake tube cleaned at service.
- Checked intake hoses, found crank case vent hose was loose, refitted that, with added hose clamp.
- Removed and cleaned (as best i could) the MAF sensor last week. Has not done it since this was cleaned.

Questions:
Anyone experienced similar?
To help me understand, can anyone confirm if the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control is the same thing as the EGR air flow control valve on the top of the engine, or is it the valve in the EGR cooler?? Seems the software team on the DTC library development didn't speak with the engineering team when they were coming up with descriptions
The code P02E8 has a recent thread but I have not had that code pop (yet).

Thanks Heaps for any help
Old 13-01-2024
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What year model & have you been getting any intermittent / random low idle shudders when coming to a halt?
Old 14-01-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

I have a faint memory of reading something on a Yank site actually way back, its to do with the EGR cooler part, I think if its really sooty around the vacuum valve bit good chance it and/or the valve part is clogged up with crud or stuffed..... If you look at the drawing in the parts link below I think items 1 and 7 are the culprits...
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...Overland%204WD)

I don't think its the incorrectly named "throttle valve" on top of the engine thats the cause a sit throws its own code ............ could be wrong though... the code thrown is a generic OBD code not a Jeep specific one...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 14-01-2024
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Laredo View Post
What year model & have you been getting any intermittent / random low idle shudders when coming to a halt?
Thanks TR Laredo, MY14 Overland with OR pack.
Not shudder when coming to a halt, but occasionally has a shudder on shut down.
I was originally resigned to the fact that it was the valve in the EGR cooler, but then reading the P02E8 post about the one on top, got me wondering. ??
Old 14-01-2024
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I have a faint memory of reading something on a Yank site actually way back, its to do with the EGR cooler part, I think if its really sooty around the vacuum valve bit good chance it and/or the valve part is clogged up with crud or stuffed..... If you look at the drawing in the parts link below I think items 1 and 7 are the culprits...
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...Overland%204WD)

I don't think its the incorrectly named "throttle valve" on top of the engine thats the cause a sit throws its own code ............ could be wrong though... the code thrown is a generic OBD code not a Jeep specific one...
Thanks drover. Hmmm, was hoping not, oh well. Will see how it goes with cleaning the MAF and fixing the crank case hose.
Old 14-01-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,136 Times in 601 Posts

Just had a peak at what the P02E8 code generically means..."The Diesel Intake Air Flow Position Sensor (DIAFPS) is usually bolted to the throttle body mounted to the intake manifold or in a tube in the intake air stream.

The PCM receives this voltage signal to determine how much clean, filtered air is entering the engine versus how much is entering through the exhaust system via the Exhaust Gas Recirculation System, or EGR System. When the EGR system is activated, the PCM should note a change in airflow. If not, then there may be something wrong with the EGR system, or there may be something wrong with the DIAFPS,"

Our turbo charged VM diesels of course have the air flow sensor in the tube just after the air box. So as you wrote after you cleaned the MAF it was better, so it may have been to do with the MAF being a tad dirty. If it hadn't been cleaned since new it quite likely would have needed a clean. But, the EGR does have input so it may have an issue too?
Old 14-01-2024
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnutz View Post
Thanks drover. Hmmm, was hoping not, oh well. Will see how it goes with cleaning the MAF and fixing the crank case hose.
The improvement after cleaning MAF and MAP is probably because they needed it as well .............. Just don't poke them, spray liberally and let dry.........

Then I would have a look at the EGR Vacuum Actuator and if your in luck the vacuum line might be dodgy or the solenoid at least............................ Anyway pic #1 shows the valve, found at fire wall end of EGR cooler, hose is noted and arm should be in down position when at shut down, it shouldn't be sooty ...Pic #2 shows the vacuum connection on the engine which is just behind the thermostat, check hose ends and connectors, any cracks ditch them and replace, generic item so no need to do the Jeep shop thing....... If its all working okay then its problem the black bit at the other end of the coooler thats croaked.

68212653AA Valve-EGR Bypass

PS: a slightly loose crank case hose is good then if the sump pressurises it will pop off before the seals, mine has it just zip tied for such an occurence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOSE.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 14-01-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply