Grand kids - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,311 Times in 753 Posts
Default Grand kids

Took my 4yr old grand son on our FIRST fishing adventure this arvo....was mid 40's all day with cool change right on dusk...told him...'this is the time to be fishing'....he ran inside and said to his dad...'Dad....Poppy says this the best time to be fishing and he knows cos he used to be a fisherman'....gotts love the blatant truths told by children....my grandson ran back outside and said....'Poppy...we gotta go fishing...get your fishing gear n lets go'...now there's something you cant say no to....loaded some gear and down to the waters edge we went...li'l marina biult to unload the fishing boats from the Bight....'Poppy...did you used to work on that boat ?'....we had been in Port Lincoln early in the week and I pointed out a few boats I had worked on 'when I was younger....MUCH younger'.....so now...every boat the 4yr old see's gets a 'I bet Poppy worked on that boat...he was Fisherman, he used catch Rock Lobsters (introduced them to the B52's Rock Lobster video clip....THEY LOVE IT !), Sharks and he used Pole Tuna...used to throw em on the boat over his shoulder...is that a Rock Lobster boat ?....Shark boat ?...or a Tuna Pole boat ?...bet Poppy worked on it'.......sooooo....in the quiet li'l marina we are with a few rods giving it a go....man oh man did I get asked every question about fishing EVER asked....lol....to top it off we were catching fish....not anything worth eating but a suggestion to keep the catch for Crab bait in the morning enticed another raft of questions to be answrred so as to give his dad ALL there is to know about Crab fishing...'cos Poppy was a fisherman and he knows everything about fishing dad...you should ask him'.....TRUELY was one of the 'sweetest' moments in many years and will be repeated MUCH more often...looks like Ive found a fishing buddy !....if he keeps quiet long enough for the fish to bite !!!

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 28-01-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

FARWEST thats just classic!!! Got a few grand kids so know where your coming from! You probably had sore face muscles from smilling too much..LOL.
Old 29-01-2023
Rock Munki

Progress on my 'fishing buddy'....went round for a visit tis morn...couldnt take him crabbing yesty morn as I had to 'work' at a local social event (note: REALLY hate the Americanisation of Australia...no details...just a blatant truth fact)...me 'fishin buddy' was in a huff....dad wouldnt take crabbing yesty (it rained ALL day) and dad wouldnt take him tis mornin (its blowin 25kts of cold Souwesterly n light sprinkly rain...not really standing on a Jetty weather)....me buddy was outside waiting for me to explain why it wasnt 'crabbing weather'....no good mate, too cold n windy.....the answer...and you have to love the truth of children....'Poppy....you werent a Crab Fisherman....they dont even have the same cages (nets/pots)...you didnt work on Crab boats....you just went to the Jetty like I want too...how would you know if the Crabs are hungry when its cold n windy ?'.....I had nuthin !......'Well mate...its not the Crabs that dont like the weather...its the Fisherman thats trying to catch the crabs that doesnt like the weather'.....'Well ok Poppy.....you just dont come with us....just me n dad will go....got any tricks to catchin em ?'............'lets go inside and talk about it'

Old 29-01-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I got a good laugh out of that post too! You have to love his enthusiasm.
Old 31-01-2023
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

interesting information
Old 05-02-2023
Rock Munki

The crabbing adventure was undertaken today...little jetty on the bay known for decent return for effort...around 20+ish crabs...1 keeper.....me fishin buddy learnt the term...'keeper'....I didnt have to pull any nets...once shown he commandeered the role....'keeper Poppy keeper'....could be heard up n down the jetty by all...I could see they were undersized...."lets just measure em mate"......measure showed undersized....question...."you sure thats the right one Poppy (measuring device)?....we're catchin a lot but you keep throwin em back !"....yes mate, Im sure....question..."how do you know it is ?....you didnt work on crab boats...maybe thats the wrong measure ?"....pretty sure its right mate, lets take a walk up the jetty to the fish station and we'll check shall we ?"......" Good idea Poppy, cos we're catchin lots n your throwin em back".....laid measure onto fish station rule, read the notification rules....."Hmmm.....you reckon they got the right measure Poppy ?"...pretty sure mate......"Ok.lets pull the nets"...caught 1x crab....BUT....as the saying goes....'a bad days fishing beats a good day working, every time'.....as we packed up n started walking down the jetty to the carpark me fishin buddy is obviously in deep thought.....'whats up mate ?'.....'Poppy.....I think you need to buy a boat'......I like his thinking !

Old 08-02-2023
Rock Munki

The little master hooked his FIRST fish last night !!!!.....I wasnt 'invited' on that fishin trip....just a father n son journey to that li'l marina....but....SUCCESS !.....He will be around at Poppys after 'skool' this arvo....I cant wait to hear ALL the details....pretty sure it will be a longer story than 'The Old Man and the Sea'....the Tommy (Herring) he caught will definitely grow in magnitude from what they are to epic World Record proportions...in fact...my 'planning' is to assist that by telling him it is, in a way, a World Record....well it is the FIRST fish he caught which makes it a World Record for him !
Around the 40C mark here today, so across the road to the beach it will be...rods in tow no doubt !

ps: first thing he said to his dad when he landed the 'whale'...."dad...you have to take a picture n send it to Poppy !"

pps: The 'now' Professional Fisherman just came around to collect his 'skool shuz' that left behind last night....well...."POPPY...IT WAS A WHOPPER !!!...NEARLY PULLED ME IN !!!....Its was SO strong I couldnt get it in all the way !...."Dad had to help me...Did you see the picture ???....it was HUGE !!!....I'll tell you all about it after 'skool'"......I cant wait !

Last edited by FARWEST; 08-02-2023 at 07:20 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply