radiator,adrad brand - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-05-2009
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

yep, doesn't matter either way
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 21-05-2009
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
91*C =195*F this is the stock OEM specified thermostat. Some aftermarket thermostats open at 85*C or even 80*C and leads to excessive fuel use as the computer ignores the O2 sensor untill the engine is warm enough (90*C), so the early opening stops the engine reaching efficient operating temp.

This is a pretty common statement .....

Since you lean towards that concept as well ... can you confirm the actual temperature stated is when the system changes from open loop to closed loop ... or are you only going by what you read on somebodies website ???

Also ... when does this excessive fuel use occur ... at idle whilst warming up or whilst driving ???

Seems to be a few differing thoughts on various forums and some facts would be good to perhaps have in a thread here.
Old 21-05-2009
Rock Munki

Download the FSM for your model.
http://greatlakesxj.com/tech.html
Search for
"OPEN LOOP/CLOSED LOOP MODES OF
OPERATION"
Increased fuel use at idle and cruising if engine not up to operating temp.
Old 21-05-2009
No Winching

Quote:
Download the FSM for your model.
http://greatlakesxj.com/tech.html
Search for
"OPEN LOOP/CLOSED LOOP MODES OF
OPERATION"
Increased fuel use at idle and cruising if engine not up to operating temp.
Baaahaaahaaa .... nicely dodged rainman .... you've been trained well.

Quote:
91*C =195*F this is the stock OEM specified thermostat. Some aftermarket thermostats open at 85*C or even 80*C and leads to excessive fuel use as the computer ignores the O2 sensor untill the engine is warm enough (90*C), so the early opening stops the engine reaching efficient operating temp.
The coloured part of your quote is what I am referring to. Instead of being a smart alec ... just refer me to the section that says the open and closed loop operation is dependant on 90' temp or 90' thermostats because thats what I want to find and read.

The only temperature reference I can find in relation to open/close loop operation is the one where the ECU will throw a code ... if it decides the engine is running too cold ..... and not switching from open to closed loop as it should.

P0125 - Closed Loop Temp Not Reached ... Engine does not reach 20°F ( -6'C ) within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.

Your thoughts ????
Old 21-05-2009
Rock Munki

The resistance
should be less than 1000 ohms with the engine at its
correct operating temperature. Refer to the Coolant
Temperature Sensor/Manifold Air Temperature Sen-
sor resistance chart. Replace the sensor if it is not
within the range of resistance specified in the chart.

@~1000 ohms resistance in the temp sender the PCM goes into closed loop while idling & cruising.
So somewhere between 85 & 90*C (depending on the precise properties of the individual coolant temp sensor)the PCM registers "normal operating temperature" and closed loop is used if required.

195 OEM equivalent thermostats are listed and for sale in many different places try rock auto in the states.
it is all about the coolant temperature WRT closed/open loop, thermostat opening is a secondary albeit important consideration.

Last edited by rainman; 21-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 21-05-2009
No Winching

Quote:
The resistance
should be less than 1000 ohms with the engine at its
correct operating temperature. Refer to the Coolant
Temperature Sensor/Manifold Air Temperature Sen-
sor resistance chart. Replace the sensor if it is not
within the range of resistance specified in the chart.

@~1000 ohms resistance in the temp sender the PCM goes into closed loop while idling & cruising.
So somewhere between 85 & 90*C (depending on the precise properties of the individual coolant temp sensor)the PCM registers "normal operating temperature" and closed loop is used if required.

195 OEM equivalent thermostats are listed and for sale in many different places try rock auto in the states.
it is all about the coolant temperature WRT closed/open loop, thermostat opening is a secondary albeit important consideration.
Sheeeesh .... all that and you didnt comment on the fact that the computer will throw a code in regard to temps being too cold and it appears to register -6' as the closed loop setting.

The first bit was interesting but its just the testing procedure for the temp sensor .... at 90' its actually 860-970 ohms or it could be 7370-8750 ohms at 30' .... if you preferred.

Second bit was a bit more on track ... Was it a presumption or a quote ... the section and page reference would be handy.

The third bit .... well hey, thermostats can even be bought at parts shops out here in the boonies without worrying about import duties.

As we probably shouldnt tie up the thread anymore ... hows about you respond to this original question ....

Since you lean towards that concept as well ... can you confirm the actual temperature stated is when the system changes from open loop to closed loop ... or are you only going by what you read on somebodies website ???

and as I previously asked, give me your thoughts on the computer code:

P0125 - Closed Loop Temp Not Reached ... Engine does not reach 20°F ( -6'C ) within 5 minutes with a vehicle speed signal.

In a PM ......
Old 21-05-2009
Rock Munki

well that was an unrewarding experience.

Last edited by rainman; 21-05-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply