Mystery oil leak - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Question Mystery oil leak

Excuse my ignorance - I'm new to diesels.

What's this large pipe in the photo?

It alway seems to be covered in an oily film, almost like it's sweating oil. Underneath is a bit of a mess so it's been going on for some time. It's not enough to cause drips on the ground but since the rest of the engine is so oil-tight I'd like to sort it.
Old 06-09-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 280 Times in 224 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It's the hose from the cool side of the intercooler to the inlet manifold.

Sent from my moto g( plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2020
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

That oil mist is very likely blow by that's come out of your PCV / oil separator and wended its merry way through your turbo, intercooler and back into the intake manifold.

The intake manifold is unlikely to be very pretty as the oil from the blow by mixes with the soot from the EGR valve.

The way to stop more oil getting in is to install a catch can to separate some of the oil from the vapour exiting your crankcase via the PCV thingey on top of the engine. Given your diesel probably has a few miles on it then blow by will likely be an issue. But note this won't do anything for the oil already in your intercooler, intake manifold etc. But if you aren't getting any other problems then let sleeping dogs lie..

My understanding the 2.7 produced quite a bit of blow by from new (all engines produce it). Turbo diesels more so.

Last edited by nudibranches; 07-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Yeah, I probably should have expanded my reply a little. Thanks Nudibranches.

I have always had an oily film on that hose. I'd clean it and the film would come back. It never dripped. A month or so ago I fitted a catch can, and at the same time tied the swirl vanes open. You can find pictures in these forums. Since then, the visible smoke at "full-noise" has steadily decreased from a James Bond smoke screen, to a light haze, to now nothing visible at all. I have yet to clean the hose again, but I suspect that the oil film will not come back.

I recommend the catch-can. I fitted the Ryco one, but the Provent is reportedly just as good albeit more expensive.
Old 07-09-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Did you check if there was any oil in your intercooler? It happened to me.
Old 07-09-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

I had sucked out all I could with 8mm PVC tube and a venturi vacuum pump. I knew I hadn't got it all. So, yes, I had checked.
Old 11-09-2020
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
I had sucked out all I could with 8mm PVC tube and a venturi vacuum pump. I knew I hadn't got it all. So, yes, I had checked.
Only way to get it all is remove the intercooler and that's a bit of a pain on the WJ.
Post New Thread  Reply