Buying Grand Cherokee Diesel - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Look for the trail rated badge on the front guards to show ORAII has been fitted.
Mine doesn't have a trail rated badge, but it does have ORA2. Did they start doing that in 2015?
Old 08-08-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Flame torch on!

The GC was developed when Chrysler was merged with Mercedes, not while it was in bankruptcy. GM also filed for bankruptcy, Ford was close behind, it wasn't that Chrysler was poorly run, the US had a major recession and all sales dropped and all brands suffered.
The First GC was developed in 1993 14 years before the GFC.

It was arguably a good tough vehicle but it was closer to AMC's view of what a jeep should be, because it was only 6 years after the takeover of struggling AMC by a then commercially successful Chrysler.

Chrysler then got into trouble again later on and has bounced around various owners with unhappy marriages of convenience ever since.
Old 08-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Mine doesn't have a trail rated badge, but it does have ORA2. Did they start doing that in 2015?
Interesting. Maybe? Mine is a Dec15 build limited with ORAII and has it. I thought it was normal? Like the below

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1620&bih=885
Old 08-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
The First GC was developed in 1993 14 years before the GFC.

It was arguably a good tough vehicle but it was closer to AMC's view of what a jeep should be, because it was only 6 years after the takeover of struggling AMC by a then commercially successful Chrysler.

Chrysler then got into trouble again later on and has bounced around various owners with unhappy marriages of convenience ever since.
The OP isn't looking for a ZG, the WK2 was developed by Chrysler with Merc, it is a shared platform, they shared development costs and resources on it. Doesn't sound like a poorly funded or conceived product....

Merc merged with them in 98, then departed early in the GFC, which was after the WK2 development was complete.
Old 08-08-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
Whether To buy a jeep?
I am sure I'll be flamed for my comments but this is a forum and members are free to contribute their opinion. This is mine.

First I will quote another members succinct words from another request for opinions about the purchase of another jeep model on this forum a few weeks back his words were "run Forrest run" although he was referring to specific model in my opinion that sums up the brand.

As the Jeep brand is not very reliable, and this poor reliability similarly plagues the other makes from the FCA stable, they are not the cars that once had a legendary reputation. Chrysler their maker in the last 20 or so years has faced bankruptcy and had at least 3 different owners some semi-interested and one a hedge fund clearly totally disinterested.
Hardly the best recipe for the best product development and to inspire a motivated and happy workforce.

I am sure you won't take my word for it, but do yourself a favour have a look at JD Power Associates brand reliability survey results conducted annually with 100,000's of vehicle buyers in the US.
It shows that over many years Fiat Chrysler America products continue to underwhelm in the reliability stakes.

Spend some time going through forum threads both here and overseas and see that some vehicles that are relatively new and low milage suffering unexpected, lengthy and sometimes very expensive breakdowns.

Now I know some owners are having a good run with their vehicles and some of these are members of this forum and are happily sharing their positive experiences here,
but unfortunately the risk that you may not enjoy a similar happy outcome in my opinion is on balance more likely with jeep than many of the competing 4WD brands in the marketplace .

I do hope as some have stated that Chrysler America is really getting their collective $hit in a pile and improving the Jeep and Fiat Chrysler products because I have owned Chrysler products for nearly 40 years I have always had at least one in my garage and I still own a 1971 dodge charger and 1970 valiant pacer and would love to see the make restored to its former glory.
But until that restoration is clearly established I would not take the risk.

I do get the Jeep attraction you get a lot of new car for the sticker price and they do look good and they do tow well but their reputation and the indifferent and expensive dealership network really hurts resale value that is why 10 year old grand cherokees often with less than 150,000kms typically sell for less than $10K but 10 year old Landcruisers sometimes with nearly 300,000kms and more sell for between $35 & $40K.

If you can do your own maintenance and repairs or have someone you trust outside the FCA dealer network you may wish to take the risk because secondhand bargains can be picked up, but if you are totally reliant on other people to keep you moving then what I said earlier applies "run Forrest run".

landcruisers look like something from the 80's .

This is my first jeep and you know what i wont look back . All makes have issues . ALL MAKES . for some reason ppl love heaping shit on the jeep brand . My wk2 goes everywhere i want it to go and the finish on the jeep inside shits over anything in the toyota/ford stable . I can comfortably do 10 hours straight in this car without an issue

Sure parts are expensive through the dealer network, that's why you don't go there . just like any brand . Find a fantastic independant like Aztech4x4 in perth to do all your work for you .

Last edited by timsarg; 08-08-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2017
Greying Nomad

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I've been driving Jeeps (KJs and now WK2) since 2003 and I have had less problems with them than I had with the Ford Falcons I owned previously. My current 2014 WK2 has just clocked up 91,000km of which a significant percentage was towing a 3.5t caravan.
Jeeps are a brand people love to hate, usually for no good reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-08-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I love my 2006 Jeep Cherokee KJ 2.8, even though I spend a bit of time fixing silly issues. The main problem I see is with the dealers. I do my own servicing (apart from timing belt). I love the look of the WK2, and would love to get into one. The secret I think is to make sure servicing is done on time (like most new cars these days).

I actually had WAY more problem with my previous Ford Falcon, whie my Toyota Avalon just keeps on going.
Post New Thread  Reply