xj rims? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

interesting????
Old 04-08-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
Yes you're getting some decent flex but I notice that the tyres you're running are not overly wide or have any form of side lugs, this can be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing when you run standard or sub-standard offset rims, limiting up-travel also helps in this regard but that is dependant on your lift as to how effective this can be.
The other thing to factor in is the turning circle, once you go to a wider tyre or decrease the offset the turning circle will increase due to the tyres rubbing on the control arms and/or the bash plate, running aftermarket control arms helps with the turning circle again tyre width and offset dependant.
There is a reason most run wider offset rims when running wider tyres, if you keep the tyre width near stock and/or can tolerate travel and steering adjustments then you can make things work.

The Territory rims do look good though and as long as keep things in check then go for it but things like front diff offset will be more critical but managable with an adjustable panhard rod (again lift dependant) and more attention needs to paid to maximizing travel while preventing fouling, this also applies to the rear.
The benefit to stock offset or sub-stock offset is there is a lower chance of the tyres fouling on the guards requiring less or no triming.

Wheel offset, tyre width, suspension height, shock lengths (compressed and extended) and of course bump stop lengths all play a factor and need to be considered and become more critical the closer the tyres are to the body....

I had to limit my uptravel when I fitted the mud tyres due to heavy rubbing pretty much everywhere (spring seats, bashplate, aftermarket control arms and even inside the guards) yet the all terrains had no issues and both are 30x9.50-15's on stock offset....

Also don't forget that you need to be able to steer whilst flexed, don't just allow clearance while flexed with the wheels only facing straight ahead...

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland

Last edited by junglejuice; 04-08-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Great points J.J.

Mine has extended bump stops & Grand Cherokee lower control arms for the turning circle benefit.
I do get rubbing on my bullbar when i use muddies that are 31".
That is annoying. Bugger.
I have 2 x sets of rims.

Eddy
Old 04-08-2014
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedek View Post
Great points J.J.

Mine has extended bump stops & Grand Cherokee lower control arms for the turning circle benefit.
I do get rubbing on my bullbar when i use muddies that are 31".
That is annoying. Bugger.
I have 2 x sets of rims.

Eddy
What rims fo you run the 31's on?
Are they 31x10.50-15's?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 04-08-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
What rims fo you run the 31's on?
Are they 31x10.50-15's?
The same Territory rims & BFG's KM2 245/70/17
Old 07-08-2014
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

ok so picked up a set of tj rims 15x8 with 31x10.5 yokahama super diggers on them mounted them up all seems ok tyres are shot have to hunt around for tyres now.
Post New Thread  Reply