Anyone else have a faint high pitched noise from KL? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Iv had a few WKs with intank supply pumps have a louder than normal whine ,replaced them all under warrenty ,&if its a KL its more likely to be the Hydrolic Pump on the RDM , Rear Drive Modual they should be silent , iv also replaced 2 under warranty , slide under the rear end and while its idling touch the Hydrolic pump on the drivers side of the RDM you will feel it , to confirm disconect the harness if it goes silent you found the issue take it to the dealer and have it replaced ,make sure they also order a new RDM reservoir gasket & 1ltr of the RDM fluid as they will need to bleed the system . & the pick up pumps on the KL's seem to vary car to car some are silent and some have pitchy whine but none of the ones we have at work sound like the one in the video so id still check the RDM to he sure . If you get a DTC in the cluster relating to the RDM or 4X4 system key off and let the vehical go to sleep or disconect the battery for an hour to shift the DTC to a Stored Status .

OIIIIIIIO

Last edited by ozjeepster; 19-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 24-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

That motor on ours certainly doesn't FEEL like it's running - but I haven't spent more than 5 seconds under there looking into it yet - ie. haven't poked about with a piece of hose as a steth or rigorously investigated whether it starts straight away or after time or coincides with transmission being in drive etc. - or tried disconnecting that harness.

I'll post more once I get up the enthusiasm to look into it some more - and promise I'll post what I find.

There's at least reassurance that so many others have the same sound - fingers crossed it is just the fuel pump and normal.
Old 25-05-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Fuel pump my WJ did a similar thing.
Old 29-05-2015

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

So... Had mine serviced this week and demonstrated the noise to the Service Manager. He followed up with head office and it's a known issue.. Apparently 80% of them make this noise to varying extents - the source is the electric motor on the rear diff. It's apparently not a reliability issue, and FCA apparently haven't yet decided if they're going to replace the part on affected vehicles to remedy the noise. It doesn't particularly bother me if there's not a failure risk associated with it, but I'd still prefer the noise not to be present, so I'll nag again at the next service.
Old 29-05-2015
It's a JK Thing ;)

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Just like i said , id still be going for a warrenty claim as its certainly an annoying sound ; )

OIIIIIIIO

Last edited by ozjeepster; 29-05-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 29-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Thankyou for the info!! - yeah, as long as it's not an actual reliability thing I'm cool but yeah - if it can be fixed and the annoying sound stopped I'll rattle my dealer's cage a bit at the next (first) service...
Old 30-05-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts

Thanks for the info Lujabe.
Post New Thread  Reply