DPF Delete pics and dyno results! - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-03-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Be interesting to see long term reliability. I'm considering a tune just to get rid of what I consider the Achilles' heel of modern CRDs....the DPF, EGR, and CCV systems.
One thing that frustrates me is with all the torque the engine makes, very little is made available thanks to the poofy torque management built into the system. Any solution to this in the HPF tune?
Results of the tune on mine:

Before;
Power - 134.5 Kw
Torque - 634 Nm

After;
Power 152.0Kw
Torque - 784Nm

This would seem to indicate that there is plenty of torque available.

Cheers
Old 18-03-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhawk View Post
This thing is a beast...

Red - tune as it came in.
Blue - tune and DPF delete
Green - intercooler muffler delete pipe (I'm not convinced this is accurate until at least a couple more blind tests have been done)

But, either way... damn son!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was the muffler delete run done with a retune also? So I am thinking you are getting better efficiency with the DPF delete so any help in the intake is going to have exponential effects on the result. I think that result is more of a combo result than just the muffler delete alone. Great results though. Anything over 700Nm is a great result. That kind of torque is a nice car to drive. Would launch nicely on the brake.

Notice though with the intake muffler, power curve is a little smoother. Maybe it does more than just NVH?
Old 18-03-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
Was the muffler delete run done with a retune also? So I am thinking you are getting better efficiency with the DPF delete so any help in the intake is going to have exponential effects on the result. I think that result is more of a combo result than just the muffler delete alone. Great results though. Anything over 700Nm is a great result. That kind of torque is a nice car to drive. Would launch nicely on the brake.

Notice though with the intake muffler, power curve is a little smoother. Maybe it does more than just NVH?

Yeah not sure on that part changing power that dramatically. I've got a couple of WK2 booked in over the next two weeks I'll check it again and see if the results can be backed up. The parts was fitted at the very end after DPF, EGR and tune. I'm going to go to a high saps oil next service too (3000ks). I also deleted the preturbo intake muffler today too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-03-2017
Full Flexer

I kinda reckon you are talking 1%ers now. I deal with attenuators everyday being mech services is my job and they are minimal restriction. I think the corrugated sections would be more restriction.

I currently run an AFE CAI but thinking of putting the airbox back on. If I can get a hold of one of the delete pipes, I think we can get a decent idea on what a change in the intake path will make to a point. The ECU should compensate for the larger intercooler if it is at all more efficient. I think the larger intercooler I have will only make a difference under sustained load but comparing apples for apples is just not possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_170459_resized.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	75618   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160702_072357.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	75619  
Old 19-03-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Very Interested in the dpf delete pipe. But not sure how to go about it.

I am in Perth and will probably go through ecuwest or another tuner.

Can I install it then take it to the tuner? Will the car even drive if the pipe is installed without modifying the ecu?

Would the tuner know how to modify the ecu so the car doesn't throw errors?
Old 19-03-2017
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse270 View Post
Very Interested in the dpf delete pipe. But not sure how to go about it.

I am in Perth and will probably go through ecuwest or another tuner.

Can I install it then take it to the tuner? Will the car even drive if the pipe is installed without modifying the ecu?

Would the tuner know how to modify the ecu so the car doesn't throw errors?
I wonder whether it will throw a code? Trailhawk can say for sure but the pressure sensors will read the same as though the DPF is clean but now I think about it there should be some pressure difference always due to static losses through the filter so maybe it will throw a code. Limp mode not sure but if your car decides to do a regen there will be white smoke billowing everywhere.

I am going to United Fuel Injection out in Redcliffe to double check they can remap but they are 99% sure. I know these guys really well (tuned the 4 different turbos I had on my patrol). Even though the DPF delete is easy to fit, I was thinking of just getting them to bung it in then do the remap at same time. Give them a call, they know there s^%t.
Old 20-03-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post
I kinda reckon you are talking 1%ers now. I deal with attenuators everyday being mech services is my job and they are minimal restriction. I think the corrugated sections would be more restriction.

I currently run an AFE CAI but thinking of putting the airbox back on. If I can get a hold of one of the delete pipes, I think we can get a decent idea on what a change in the intake path will make to a point. The ECU should compensate for the larger intercooler if it is at all more efficient. I think the larger intercooler I have will only make a difference under sustained load but comparing apples for apples is just not possible.
Quite possibly, however the overall inside diameter of the new pipe is atleast 40% larger. I've also used this sort of tubing for all sorts of big power things over the years and although i do not believe they flow as well as straight silicone for example, i can guarantee this will outflow the original however, the limit to air flow into the turbo maybe the elbow just prior to the turbo or the air flow meter itself so there may be nothing to be gained playing in the area, especially if its the AFM. But i like to play.
Post New Thread  Reply