Pre ADR - Modifications. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2009
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Default Pre ADR - Modifications.

So the ADR came into play in the late 70's what about the pre adr vehicles, i have a 66 that i want to turn into a bit of a toy. So what are the rules here, what is it we are complying with?

I mean whats to say it wasn't put on 42" tyres and mogs in 67?
Old 08-01-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

You might want to check with RTA.

Theres still a difference between owning a vehicle with little or no ADR requirements ( e.g. seatbelts, laminated windscreens, emission controls etc ) and major engineering / structural changes to an original vehicle.

The good news is you should only need an engineers approval of the work .... not whether the work will meet ADR crap regardless of the engineering quality.

Qld transport used to have a list of approved motor transplants etc for early models .... volvos with falcon motors .... had a mate that used to surprise people at the lights on take off ... lol

I do know that RTA go by the year of the chassis ... 1966 etc can have a 2006 motor but not vice versa ... Recently looked at fitting a 1984 landcruiser with a fibreglass full body kit ... RTA still needed engineering approval ... despite the body kit having been tested, engineer approved and full qld transport approval for over 20yrs.

RTA is not there to do you any favours ....

Last edited by carvesdodo; 08-01-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2009
Lowranger Shocker

yea i had a look around the rta website lastnight, the problem is its not to specific about 'pre adr'. in addition what it does have is scattered amoung a bunch od individual pdf's, then you open them they are 5 pages odd and they are full of bloated crap that refer you at the end to another act where the rules are, then you find that and it refers to another adr.... the system is designed to screw you over, no doubt about it.

I did find that an engine replacment is not ment to exceed a total of 40% more than the original engine in a pre adr vehicle, thats about as much as i could find.

But things like tyre limiations are imposed by the ADR, the ADR is not relevent, so what can the cops do about it?

I guess the aim of this question is working out if the build plan will be viable for registration or if i should just build it to trailer standards and forget about the RTA and the yearly dues....
Old 08-01-2009
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

If you don't make it to wild and it looks like it could have come from the factory like that how would they know different. Won't be to much info on a 66 CJ.
Old 08-01-2009
Lowranger Shocker

even less on a willys gladiator

somehow i think 40"+ rubber might draw attention though
Old 08-01-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYROX View Post
If you don't make it to wild and it looks like it could have come from the factory like that how would they know different. Won't be to much info on a 66 CJ.
google '66 CJ ...
Old 08-01-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warren, just don't do this, I know you are tempted!!

Here is couple of classics

Can't wait to see what you come up with!