Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 41 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
My OEM tyres on my '08 17" rims are 255/75 R17, same as the Rubi. Sticker says so, too.
My 2010 is placarded at 245. 255 is equivalent to 32". The VSI puts the 15mm limit on the largest dia tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series. I believe that this means that even for cars placarded at a lower dimension 255 would be the base dimension. Kimmeh would probably be able to clarify as he/she has recent practical experience with this ruling.
Old 12-11-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Dont tell me you got done Kimmeh?
Yep

On the way to Mud Bulls.

Luckily he couldn't be arsed doing the paperwork for an actual defect notice and I got away with a $100 fine and 1 point.

Oh and the 15mm rule does apply. I only got caught though because Mud Bulls was on and they were targeting 4wd's that weekend.
Old 12-11-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So are we saying that because the rubi has the 255 that a 33" is legal or just very close
Old 12-11-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianthead View Post
So are we saying that because the rubi has the 255 that a 33" is legal or just very close
No look at the sticker attached to one of your front doors. Stock tyre size for all 2010 complianced JK wranglers delivered to australia is 245/75r17.

PS: the tyre placecard sticker has part of your VIN number on it to. So the ruling is specific in this case to your vehicle and the sticker attached to it NOT what some other bloke's sticker which is 2yrs older says.

Gone are the days of simply swapping tyre placecards as they're no longer generic.

Well...its not as easy anyway.
Old 13-11-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Only if by close you mean 30mm. The difference between a 255 and a 285 is 45mm. For a 245 the difference is 60mm. Here's a tyre size calculator:

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx

Going on Kimmeh's experience, just carry a wad of 100s. You've got 12 fines before you lose your license
Old 13-11-2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so now I'm back to where I started , I have sold a brand new un road worthy car that I don't want to part with. Who do I go too to get a engineers certificate? I don't really care so much if it costs a few grand, I just want it done right.
Old 14-11-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
No look at the sticker attached to one of your front doors. Stock tyre size for all 2010 complianced JK wranglers delivered to australia is 245/75r17.

PS: the tyre placecard sticker has part of your VIN number on it to. So the ruling is specific in this case to your vehicle and the sticker attached to it NOT what some other bloke's sticker which is 2yrs older says.

Gone are the days of simply swapping tyre placecards as they're no longer generic.

Well...its not as easy anyway.

Quote:
Ok, so now I'm back to where I started , I have sold a brand new un road worthy car that I don't want to part with. Who do I go too to get a engineers certificate? I don't really care so much if it costs a few grand, I just want it done right.
You could always buy some tube doors then there would be no sticker.... cooollll....

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.
Post New Thread  Reply