Lift and Tyres of your JK - Page 47 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bump Stops

I don't think you need any bumpstops or brake line extensions on a tough dog lift. Their coils are a similar height to stock, just stiffer, i think they offer a genuine 40 to 50mm lift, and the shocks are also a similar height. Check the specs from Toughdog, post them up, and a few of us should be able to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnggh View Post
I have just had a 2" lift kit and coils put in (Tough Dog). I really want to put 285/70/R17 on standard 17inch rims. Do I need to do anything else to the vehicle? Some of the threads mention backstops?
Old 23-12-2010
Just Real Jeeps Club

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnggh View Post
I have just had a 2" lift kit and coils put in (Tough Dog). I really want to put 285/70/R17 on standard 17inch rims. Do I need to do anything else to the vehicle? Some of the threads mention backstops?
No you wont need bump stops with the 285/70/17, you will get slight rubbing on the sway bar & the top inside of the tyre might rub slightly on the inner guard, if your running disconnects, makes a bit of noise but doesn't do any damage, bump stops will only limit your travel, I was running the 285's with a 3" lift & 5" lift for a while without any problems, I'm running 35's now & had to fit bump stops

Black 1983 CJ8, Black 1994 XJ

http://www.justrealjeeps.com
Old 23-12-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiboy01 View Post
No you wont need bump stops with the 285/70/17, you will get slight rubbing on the sway bar & the top inside of the tyre might rub slightly on the inner guard, if your running disconnects, makes a bit of noise but doesn't do any damage, bump stops will only limit your travel, I was running the 285's with a 3" lift & 5" lift for a while without any problems, I'm running 35's now & had to fit bump stops
Hi Yetiboy (and anyone else you can help),

I'm in the process of looking at tyres for mine (currently stock 09 CRD Unlimited but soon to have 2" lift) and trying to decide between 265/70/17's or the 285/70/17's. This is the first time I've owned a 4WD and the first time I've looked at modifying a car in any way so I've not got any experience in this. I've read loads of posts about this but I'm still unsure of a couple of things.

I'm assuming the 265/70/17's will give me no issues at all, either physically or legally. The only down side of this size is that I won't gain any extra height. My questions are more in respect of the 285/70/17's.

I was intending to use these on stock rims as I like them anyway and as far as i know the tyres will still be covered by the standard guards when on stock rims. Is that correct?

I'm assuming the rubbing on the guard that you mentioned would only under full flex, so something that won't happen very often anyway, and that apart from a bit of noise it probably won't do any damage. Is that about right?

I'm assuming the rubbing on the sway bay is at full lock which is something that happens a lot more often, especially when trying get around Sydney's spacious car parks.
- What damage will this do if just left as it is?
- What can be done to stop it?
- I've heard some guys say to add a washer into the steering linkage to limit the steering slightly. This has the obvious disadvantage of limiting the already limited turning circle but other than that is this advisable/legal and how/where to I need to put the washer?
- Other than that, can you swap out the sway bar for one of a different design that doesn't rub?

The 285/70/17 are technically illegal in NSW as they are more than 15mm bigger in rolling diameter than stock tyres. I guess a lot of guys just ignore this and hope for the best. This may be OK for now as they don't look out of proportion to the rest of the car anyway so people are less likely to notice but what affect does this have on your insurance? Also, with the threat of VSI 50 coming and going you just know at some point they are going to clamp down on this so what do I need to do if I want to do to run them legally?

Lastly, the slightly bigger tyres will affect the gearing and speedo/odometer. Now I know they're only slightly bigger and it's not like I'm going up to 37's but what affect will it have on these? Will I feel any difference in the way it drives in terms of the gearing? I know the speedo can be corrected by the garage or by using a procal module but is it possible to correct the odometer as well and if so how?

As I said, I'm a complete newby in this game so I'm just trying to make sure I've dotted all of the i's and crossed all the t's so to speak.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 23-12-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

the 285's should not stick outside of the guards as you have still clearance in that respect now so from that part you should have little worry.
The rubbing will only be at full flex and is unlikely to do any damage but always a possibility anytime something hits something else but will more than likely be fine
Going to a 33 will have minimal impact on your gearing but make it slightly taller but i doubt it will cause you any concerns only going marginally taller. The speedo will be out slightly and obviously your fuel consumption figures will also be slightly overstated because of this and your odemeter reading will show you have done less Km's than you actually have although not by any great amount.
As mentioned you could get a procal or similar to fix this
Old 23-12-2010
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

You will find by going to 33's your speedo will be spot on and you'll notice bugger all change in gearing. Yes you will rub at full flex ,but it is unlikely to cause damage. As for VSI 50 it wont happen for a long time still.
Old 23-12-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

No actual advice in this post, just some clarity points:

If you are worried about the legality issue, adding a washer to the turn stop bolts is actually illegal (at least in QLD anyways) as you are not allowed to do any mods that effect the turning circle. However, it is also illegal to have the tyres foul on any suspension or body components under any circumstances...

As for the washer trick though, not sure on all but when I looked at mine (2010 JK Sport), the turn stop bolts are actually set then welded into place - so there is no simple adjustment anyways..

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 23-12-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
No actual advice in this post, just some clarity points:

If you are worried about the legality issue, adding a washer to the turn stop bolts is actually illegal (at least in QLD anyways) as you are not allowed to do any mods that effect the turning circle. However, it is also illegal to have the tyres foul on any suspension or body components under any circumstances...

As for the washer trick though, not sure on all but when I looked at mine (2010 JK Sport), the turn stop bolts are actually set then welded into place - so there is no simple adjustment anyways..
yeh but that law is crap - many solid axles have the ability to adjust the turning circle with basic hand tools
Post New Thread  Reply