E.G.R. Disconnect. - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwrangler View Post
That is exactly what I do EugeJK. My truck is quick happy chugging along at 1400-1600rpm on a flat road. I haven't seen a hill yet that it won't eat up at 2000rpm, regardless of the gear.
Mine is is the same. Even when overtaking it pulls from 1200rpm in 6th gear.

Interesting that these low revs are when the EGR is operating most.
Old 28-07-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I wonder at what rpms EGR shuts down to 0%? I can smell it from exhaust at idle when tacho shows 850 rpms. Give mine a bit over 1200 and there're mild pleasant diesel fumes :

Last edited by EugeJK; 28-07-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 28-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yep, mine was the same when i first bought it. went up hill in 6th at 2000 with a camper on the back and the rear of truck full of gear. got worse over time till it had no bottom end performance at all and had to be run over 2000rpm to do anything. numerous trips to dealer (dvg maddington and melville) got not even an admission there was a problem in . spite of me producing torque and power charts to the dealer. was told the engine was normal and that i would have to rev it out near the redline to get any performance out of this tiny 4 cylinder. it was the reason my vehicle was trashed at dvg maddington, when the workshop staff threw a hissy fit to teach me i should go away. i was told there was nothing wrong with it but they had "given it a special heavy test just for me to show there was nothing wrong". that was the cause of my endless bitching posts on ajor and the 18 months of arguments with DVG where more more faults kept appearing each time i went back. and approaches to chrysler were a waste of time. they simply referred me back to dvg. but that's history and i'm finished with that. so it all stemmed from a faulty egr valve. blocked off it runs great and still improves every day. obviously much muck in the system to be cleaned out. if it works o.k disconnected i will leave it. i have been told by diesel experts that there should be no ill effects from it and in fact most diesels wind up up with a blocked egr sytem over time it isn't even noticed. if it looks like there may be problems i'll pull the valve and actuator, clean around the valve orifice to stop it sticking and replace the valve. a messy fiddly job, but not hard. it is just amazing to me that in order to avoid doing a warranty job, a dealer will damage a customer's vehicle to try and get rid of him, and chrysler does nothing to intervene on the customer's behalf. in fact i was told that if i have issues with the dealer they "will do everything they can to not get involved". amazing. but anyway that's my final rant on this, i want to get on wirh my life now. i have found the problem and have a quick fix, possibly permanent. my vehicle runs again and is an absolute joy to drive again. a hugely gutsy torquey engine that pulls like a train and does what it is supposed to do. like you mine now plugs along quite happily at 60kph in sixth, and now the bottom end is restored it accelerates uphill reasonably well from 70kph in 6th. life is getting good again.
Old 28-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeJK View Post
I wonder at what rpms EGR shuts down to 0%? I can smell it from exhaust at idle when tacho shows 850 rpms. Give mine a bit over 1200 and there're mild pleasant deisel fumes :
euge, i don't know the answer to that, but it seems that from reports on the kj in the u.s. chrysler have ramped up egr to rediculous levels, so i guess it's the same here, and the jk is probably the same. with early diesel egr systems, the gas only entered the cylinders at idle or under deceleration. with the latest diesels the gas also is injected if the engine is running under very light load conditions or if running at very low revs (revs not specified). so unless you are towing or have a load on board or are running at highway speeds it seems there is a good chance you will have some egr gas running through the engine. a permanent injection of soot into the engine to clog up inlet manifold and cylinders and injectors and valves. would seem it would be a good recipe for a short life engine. but i'm not an expert. a diesel bloke i was talking to did comment on the wrangler by saying "the bloody egr is rediculous, i don't know why they haven't at least wound it back if they can't disconnect it". it seemed an experienced bloke who had had experience working on them (outside chrysler) seemed to think the jk egr gas injection was excessive. and inspite of all the warnings about anti-pollution laws and excess heat produced doing damage, those in the industry outside the dealerships seem to say the egr does little or nothing to reduce pollution and the bit of extra heat produced is not damaging to the engine. time will tell i guess, but if anyone can come up with any more information i would be pleased to hear, because it now of great importance to me and of interest to a few others who have joined onto this thread.
Old 28-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

euge had a look at your figures you posted. mine revs higher because i have the 4.1 diffs. at 100kph in 6th i am doing 2400 rpm.
Old 28-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
mine is a manual 6 speed, so don't have issues there. it seems most of the blokes with auto issues have added a transmission cooler and the problem goes away. box holds gears longer and fuel economy improves. you may already be aware of that though. steve (redgp) had engine heating problems and transmission problems. added an outo trans cooler and everything fell into place. engine temp dropped and auto trans started working right again. mate with a kj diesel had the same problem as you, and was talking about all kind of mods including changing to a more agressive torque converter. bought the converter (ex u.s.) and then tried a trans. oil cooler and the problem went away. engine cooler, auto trans cooler, and gear changes better, and held gears at lower revs without changing down. just an oil temp problem apparently. the torque converter still sits on the shelf in is workshop.
Im a little spoilt for choice, im comparing the Auto against Merc v6 diesel mated to a 7 speed box Auto and other Euro combinations, they are pros when it comes to this aspect of engineering, The Japs and yanks cant seem to fine tune the engine+trans to same level (even in the petrols). Even the little merc 4 cyl diesel and old 5 speed auto box is a perfect match (pretty much produces the same power as the VM 2.
It's not a trans cooling issue if the box shifts down if it's not overly hot is it? Redgp is also runing a superchip which sorted his trans changes.

The new generation of small 4cyl diesels will be producing as much power and torque as the current generation of V6 diesels, poor little spark ignition lawnmower motors are being left behind
Old 28-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi mccjk. all i know about the gear change thing is that it seemed that it went away after the cooler was fitted. engine temp also dropped, and it held gears at lower revs afterwards. what gearbox temp was before cooler i don't know, but it seemed the cooler sorted it. and yep, these small diesels are pumping out some serious horses and torque with the 2.8 at 460nm now off the production line, so you can bet they are working well within their limits at that. probably can put out over 50nm safely i'd say. incredible stuff!!!! this was V8 territory not so long ago.
Post New Thread  Reply