E.G.R. Disconnect. - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-07-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sorry over 500nm i meant
Old 29-07-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

davidd, who is servicing your vehicle? It sounds like you may have an inadequate oil being used in your vehicle.
Old 29-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yom, are you referring to the auto trans oil? that's not me that's redgp and a mate who had auto trans issues which were solved by fitting a transmission oil cooler. if it's my engine you are talking about. i started using dealer 5w30 low ash, switched later to penrite hpr0, a 0/40 low ash oil. then as the truck doesn't have a particulate filter and taking advice from the penrite technical rep. i changed to penrite hpr diesel 5 a 5w40 synthetic reinforced oil, (semi-synthetic). found to worked fine and cleaned lots of carbon deposits from the engine due it's higher detergent and dispersant properties , compared to the low ash oils. i have a rattle at first start on a cold morning which goes away as the engine warms, but have been advised that is due to blocking the egr, which gives a quicker burn and has the same effect as advancing the injector timing. can be corrected if necessary apparently. all good oils and serviced by reputable people, a place i have gone to on and off for 20 years, good honest decent people. totally reliable.
Old 29-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the rattle at cold start is gone within 2kms even on these mornings at 5 deg. the temp gauge has hardly even moved in that time.
Old 29-07-2009
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
yom, are you referring to the auto trans oil? that's not me that's redgp and a mate who had auto trans issues which were solved by fitting a transmission oil cooler. if it's my engine you are talking about. i started using dealer 5w30 low ash, switched later to penrite hpr0, a 0/40 low ash oil. then as the truck doesn't have a particulate filter and taking advice from the penrite technical rep. i changed to penrite hpr diesel 5 a 5w40 synthetic reinforced oil, (semi-synthetic). found to worked fine and cleaned lots of carbon deposits from the engine due it's higher detergent and dispersant properties , compared to the low ash oils. i have a rattle at first start on a cold morning which goes away as the engine warms, but have been advised that is due to blocking the egr, which gives a quicker burn and has the same effect as advancing the injector timing. can be corrected if necessary apparently. all good oils and serviced by reputable people, a place i have gone to on and off for 20 years, good honest decent people. totally reliable.
HPR DIESEL 5
Advanced formula synthetic performance engine oil for superior protection for modern high performance diesel engines including turbocharged. Ideal where SAE 5W-30 or 10W-30 is recommended. Primarily for 3.0L diesel engines and diesel engines with hydraulically controlled fuel injectors. Vehicles with DPFs must use Enviro+ or Diesel SP.
SAE 5W-40, API CI-4/SL, ACEA A3/B4, MB 229.5, VW 506.00/506.01, Global DLD-2/3

HPR DIESEL
High viscosity formulation offering greater protection for older diesel engines. Ideal for extreme climates, high loads or oil consumption problems with conventional viscosity grades. Suitable for turbocharged engines too.
SAE 20W-60, API CH-4/SJ, ACEA A3/B3, M2C 911-A1, Global DLD-1

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...hpr/hpr_diesel

Has anyone been in contact with VM to see what their recommended oil specs for the 2.8 are? Nissan and toyota are more than willing to specify what the minimum requirements are and I doubt Chrysler AU would know so may as well go straight to the source?
Old 29-07-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yom the booklet says an oil meeting CI-4 is adequate hpr diesel 5 is CI-4/SL, s i guess it meets the specifications. also says if using european species to use ACEA A3/B4/C3 penrite is A3/B3. C3 is more to do with exhaust emissions i believe, which realy don't apply in australia as c3 is not required by other vehicles on sale here. what the B4 is i have no idea. but under american species an API CI-4 is required and it meets that requirement. penrite recommend it also as being suitable. they must be pretty sure of themselves because rang them once about ATF-4 auto trans fluid, and was told that although they had a product similar which would probably meet the requirement s they were not prepared to guarntee it would and to try something else (i think they mentioned valvoline from memory). so they're pretty straight i think.
Old 29-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep, I use the HPR-5 in my JK too. The CI-4 spec was all I wanted to see. Quite good value compared to the alternatives in the 5w30 range. I just picked up 10L the other day for my next service. Cost around $90 from memory. A lot of the 5w30 oils cost that much for 5L!