AMC 360 into 1985 CJ8 Overlander - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default AMC 360 into 1985 CJ8 Overlander

Hi All, looking for thoughts advice ect.

Found a running AMC 360 out of an 83 Cherokee. Has some aftermarket gear on it. HEI Distributor, Headers, big Holley, elec fuel pump & regulator, 4 barrel intake, ac, power steer pump, alternator plus a few other things. Will come with engine mounts as well. will they fit?

Always thought about a V8 instead of the AMC 258. Not looking for a fire breathing monster, just after a sweet V8 without a massive conversion challenge/cost. Engine most likely needs a freshen up.

My transmission is a TF904, Am I on the right track in thinking this AUTO would fit up without any additional adapters? Happy to use adapters. If this is not possible and I have to upgrade the transmission I would most likley can this idea and save up more for the LS pathway.

Cooling would need to be upgraded. - easy enough
Disk brakes up front, would I need to upgrade booster - maybe leave this up to engineering requirements.
Wiring & linkages 'should' be pretty straight forward.

Any thoughts, wisdom, advice would be appreciated

Cheers
Antman
Old 26-03-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So , I have done some reading on the Novaks Conversion website.
Lots of great information there.

Their recommendation is the TF904 auto transmission is 'not' suitable behind an AMC 360? They don't say it fits or not. Just that its not suitable.

I have had some advice from elsewhere that it would be suitable and bolt straight up?

So now I have 2 different opinions?

I like the idea of an AMC motor in the jeep because it feels more original. Maybe that's me being romantic.

My thought process was that if the AMC motor bolted up to my existing transmission it would be a reasonable swap. However I am struggling for good advice here to help me make my decision.

To be fair I had the parked the idea for some time (doing other stuff with boats = $$$) and just stumbled across this motor. Hence just trying to get an idea of what I need to prepare for.

The current AMC 258 runs sweet with a new weber carby & electric fuel pump and a few other things, so am having driving her with no problems.

Anyway was just reaching out, can see there have been plenty of views, I pretty sure I have read every CJ build on here scanning for tips along the way, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Photo of Jeep (it now has Antmann plates)

Old 12-04-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Antmann,

360 will bolt up to TF904 though you most likely have a TF999 if you have an '85. Same-samish. My understanding is that they can handle a 360. I would check out threads on jeepforum.com and even post your question there. Much bigger pool of experienced CJ peeps to draw on.

Cheers

edit: here's a starter for you...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/w...23/index2.html

Last edited by whollsee; 12-04-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 27-04-2019
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whollsee,

Really appreciate your input and the link. I have had a read through and will read a lot more yet

The motor is on its way and the seller has also offered his 727 as well. might pick that up just in case. Will see??

Cheers Antmann
Post New Thread  Reply