TJ custom Rear Tyre and Jerry can carrier - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-06-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default TJ custom Rear Tyre and Jerry can carrier

Hi everyone,

I thought I would post up some pics of my latest fabrication work.
I previously posted in this section my steel flares http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=143802

This time I thought I would tackle a spare tyre carrier as i felt like my spare was a bit too heavy for the rear tailgate hinges and latch.
I also wanted to be able to carry extra fuel on board and I'm too cheap to buy a bigger fuel tank or sub tank.

I already had a Smittybilt XRC rear bar which had the mounting facility for a swing away carrier.
I ended up buying this stub axle kit and grinding down the square edges to fit into the round hole of my bumper.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REAR-BAR-...YAAOSwv0tVAjNp

I then just started fabricating the carrier up out of some box section steel

I didn't really have a plan except to say I knew I wanted to have the Jerry Cans behind the Spare tyre and against the tailgate.
So I just kept welding stuff together and seeing how it looked as I went.

More to come
Old 15-06-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

More welding together as I go, starting to take shape and looking better than I expected.

Test fitting the Jerry Cans in and more of checking to see how it looks.

I now decided it was turning out better than I expected so I should start putting some thought into it. I decided to put a gas strut on it to keep it open when parked on hills and latch it to the tailgate so it opens with the tailgate and doesn't need its own separate latch.

Unfortunately I don't have any better photos of the latch at this stage of the build, more will come.
Old 15-06-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Next I started making some brackets to secure the Jerry Cans onto the carrier and started putting some primer on the welds to stop the surface rust.

It was now time to mount the Tyre which I happened to conveniently find an old AU Falcon front hub in the shed which I used for the wheel mount. I measured it by eye and welded it on, added a gusset for strength as the tyre is fairly heavy, don't want that coming off on the highway.

A keen observer might also notice that I finished off the mounting for the Jerry Cans in the last photo.
I also finished making a mounting plate for the Licence Plate and Brake light in the center of the spare, pretty happy with how its looking.

All ready for paint.
Old 15-06-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Painted it up in my favorite Bed liner flat textured black, same as the flares and hardtop.

I ran the wiring for the lighting through the inside of the carrier so it's nice and neat.

And finally with the wheel and everything mounted on just checking to see how it all works and looks.

Old 15-06-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

I'm very happy with how it has turned out and it works exactly how I intended while building it.
I will get some more detailed photos of the latch mechanism and the Jerry Can mounts so you can see how it was done and how it works.
If anyone wants some more information on how I did something feel free to ask.

I have now started making some rock sliders so that will be the next thing to go up, I will try to keep more detailed photography this time.

As always your comments are appreciated, let me know what you think.

Thanks
Dave
Old 15-06-2017
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Looks great, how do you get the jerry cans out when it's mounted to the tailgate.
Old 16-06-2017
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

More pics as promised.
The tyre carrier can be separated from the tailgate easily to remove the Jerry Cans as per pics below

Thumb screw makes it easy to disconnect the tyre carrier from the tailgate

More thumb screws to undo the Jerry Cans

I hope this makes it clear how it works.

Thanks
Dave
Post New Thread  Reply