NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post
The disappointing part is that FCA organised my tow this morning immediately, so I thought everything would go well. Things only seem to go well when I speak to Kate though. The guy at he dealership thought it was pretty weird that he had to email them requesting a loan car, when the whole thing was orchestrated by FCA anyway and he wasn’t even a party to it. None of the people seem to have any idea what is going on or what the procedure is for authorizing a loan car. I also find it hard to believe the dealer does not have a grand Cherokee or wrangler demo sitting there that I could take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dealers want to be able to pass the bill back to FCA. Most times dealer loaners(demos) are booked out in advance for people sending in for services. There would usually be 2-3, and these are also used by dealer managers to take home.

They frequently rotate the types of demo they have available to keep the millages low. Its unfortunate the dealer you chose does not have a GC.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 22-01-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Edited.

So I go to pickup the loaner, and NOW I'm told they are "allowed" to get an aftermarket alternator in for me(with agreement they will swap it out as genuine become avail) and hopefully be ready in a few days.

As someone else has stated, I think the dealers and FCA DO NOT speak the same wave length.

Its either that, or now I'm taking a loaner from them(mentioned the word camping), they feel obligated to have the car ready asap.
Old 23-01-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 107 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz View Post
Edited.

So I go to pickup the loaner, and NOW I'm told they are "allowed" to get an aftermarket alternator in for me(with agreement they will swap it out as genuine become avail) and hopefully be ready in a few days.

As someone else has stated, I think the dealers and FCA DO NOT speak the same wave length.

Its either that, or now I'm taking a loaner from them(mentioned the word camping), they feel obligated to have the car ready asap.

How this has been allowed to go on for 5 months is beyond me. Above all else, they’ve known for at least 4 months that people are driving around with alternators that can start a fire. I reckon if my wife drove our car much longer that would have happened based on the smell. It just isn’t acceptable really and the aftermarket alternators should have been fitted immediately for safety reasons.

I was 4 days away from being in the middle of nowhere at he bottom of some very steep hills when it happened. Thank god we were in town.

As an aside here is a picture of my son who was devastated the man was taking his car away. Not kidding. It was a proper tantrum!

Frontrunner Roof Rack
Offroad Animal Front Recovery Points and Nudge Bar
Old 23-01-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Wow, this is getting scary. I might be getting a bit paranoid, but it seems to be a matter of when, not if, the alternator gives up, then waiting 1-2 weeks to get the car back, and no recall issued yet on the diesel. And if it gives out when I'm away with the caravan hitched...

I've just upgraded my RACV Roadside Assist to the Total Care package, at least it might help mitigate the potential inconvenience. Oh, and crossing fingers, naturally!

I suppose the only other option is to get my 5 y/o alternator changed now before it fails. Not sure if Jeep would cover the cost of that "preventative" action if a recall is issued though. I might call 'em...
Old 23-01-2018
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Yeah its a concern, the 2014 models will start going pop soon and they sold heaps of those so the problem will only get bigger. They need that fix for both diesels and petrols ASAP.
Old 23-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprod View Post
How this has been allowed to go on for 5 months is beyond me. Above all else, they’ve known for at least 4 months that people are driving around with alternators that can start a fire. I reckon if my wife drove our car much longer that would have happened based on the smell. It just isn’t acceptable really and the aftermarket alternators should have been fitted immediately for safety reasons.

I was 4 days away from being in the middle of nowhere at he bottom of some very steep hills when it happened. Thank god we were in town.

As an aside here is a picture of my son who was devastated the man was taking his car away. Not kidding. It was a proper tantrum!

This is a sight I have seen on many occasions with my Jeep, but its usually the wife having a tantrum.. Its a shithouse feeling seeing ya best car being towed when you know it shouldnt be the case..

Hope the littlen gets it back soon
Old 23-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Yeah its a concern, the 2014 models will start going pop soon and they sold heaps of those so the problem will only get bigger. They need that fix for both diesels and petrols ASAP.
Have all the failures so far been pre-2014 models? Is it an age or mileage thing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply