Is this the end?........ - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Boy View Post
Oh I finally get it, the media is wrong, JD Power is wrong, CarFacts are wrong, the worlds consumer organisations are wrong and all the unhappy customers are wrong,

but the rare happy jeep owners are right.

Bring on the chinese.
No, its just your interpretation that is wrong. The article about most recalls was also wrong, you can read the actual information yourself, no need to rely on a journo who can't count:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/

More facts have been provided in the Choice survey:
https://www.choice.com.au/transport/...d-consumer-law

And the sales info is there in vfacts:
http://www.loaded4x4.com.au/12108/ne...-in-june-2017/

Feel free to inform yourself, or just making stuff up if that suits you better.....

If you have a look at the JD Power issues, the majority were DEF issues (not a problem here) uconnect issues (oh no my usb port isn't working) and the Cherokee's 9 speed, which also affected Landrover and Honda.
Old 24-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photojeep View Post
Well, yea, sortof.

Jeep is a 4x4 and the rest are a mix of passenger road cars and some 4x4's so not really a proper indication.

Anyway, the most popular 4x4 has to be the Toyota, and according to the chart it runs 50% problems compared to the Jeep 61% That alone is a +20% reduction in faults. The only other brands that do better are also Japanese brands Mazda and Honda.
True, but then again if you are making a decision about buying a car with the expectation that toyota is very reliable, but the trade off is a crappy daily driving experience which you put up with to get the top notch reliability, only to find you still have 50% chance of having problems, your experience may not live up to your expectations.

But yes, I'd agree with the survey results as far as chances of having a problem.
Old 24-08-2017

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Also i would like to add, when doing my research i found that owners were having more problems with the jeep petrol engines compared to the diesels.
I have noticed a trend in the cherokee and the Laredo and limited petrol versions of the grand cherokee also.
Old 24-08-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I completely agree that it's the dealers who give Jeep a bad name.

The way some of the recalls are handled is disgusting (crippling torque rating from 400NM to 360Nm, fuel head leaks, fuel tank protection due to explosion, park brake confusion, air in fuel, etc...).

I love my 2006 Jeep KJ 2.8 CRD (bought in 2015) but for 2 years I have been fixing stupid issues that are clearly design issues, and should have had recalls. This was also a Jeep that was dealer serviced for 9 years, so it was looked after.

What do I think of Jeeps ?
They are great, as long as you are prepared to work on them (a lot in some cases). Once they work, they are great, and also value for money.

Would I advise my family to buy one ?
Absolutely no way, as they are not mechanical experienced (and I have my hands full with 1 Jeep already).

However I still love my Cherokee KJ, even with all their stupid quirks.

The way I see it, Jeeps can't get any worse and the Chinese with deep pockets, might turn things around. Seems to have worked for Volvo.

Last edited by KJ75; 24-08-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 24-08-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Would I buy a new Jeep after listening to this. Hell NO.
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq2juzQlzYY"
"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87KiMr0Cz-Q"

Last edited by KJ75; 24-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 24-08-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
True, but then again if you are making a decision about buying a car with the expectation that toyota is very reliable, but the trade off is a crappy daily driving experience which you put up with to get the top notch reliability, only to find you still have 50% chance of having problems, your experience may not live up to your expectations.
Nope. Remember we already have a Toyota 4x4 and we have had no factory issues for 8+ years. The Toyo has lived up to reliability expectations 100% It is never driven as a daily driver, and neither would a Jeep if we land up with one. It's an outback trip vehicle.
Old 25-08-2017

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ75 View Post
Would I advise my family to buy one ?
Absolutely no way, as they are not mechanical experienced (and I have my hands full with 1 Jeep already).
+100!

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I do understand the fundamentals of how cars work, enough to call bullshit when a dealer tries to fob me off.

For someone who wasn't confident doing so, they could spend their entire time driving a Jeep that behaves like a piece of crap.

I like my Jeep, but in good conscience I won't recommend anybody buy one - at least not in central/north/west Melbourne where all dealership are under the same ownership.

People buy new cars because they don't want to have bullshit arguments with dodgy mechanics.

Of all vehicles I've owned, I like the Jeep the most, but of all vehicles I've owned, It's the one brand I'd discourage friends from buying.
Post New Thread  Reply