Wk2 tug overheating - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surnturf View Post
Two months ago I went Adelaide-Perth-Cape Leveque- Lake Argyle-Alice Springs-Adelaide
Towed a 2.5 ton PopTop in 46 degrees across the Nullabor and just beat the fires getting across
Jeep 2014 CRD 8 speed, in the 46 degrees heat water temps 107C,Transmission 98C,head wind would stay in 7th Gear
Through the hills temps would rise , Water 115C,Trans 109C
My sweet spot for towing is 97kph and got 13 litres/100
Great Vehicle for touring and 4wdriving if required
has done 181,000kmh
i think you mean oil was getting to 115c as water temp is not a digital readout and if you can tell water temp from the analogue guage above fuel i am impressed
Old 10-03-2020
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Since my overheating issues, my display stays on Oil Temp and I would be getting a bit antsy at 115 degrees.

Agree with Snakedoctor about the temp gauge, it's the most accurate I've ever had and it actually goes up when you are sitting in stop-start traffic with no airflow through the radiator. All other engines do the same but the driver never knows as the temp gauge sits at halfway until just before overheating. I'd love to know what Jeep does differently - is it just the thermostat?

Cheers,

DM
Old 11-03-2020
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
Since my overheating issues, my display stays on Oil Temp and I would be getting a bit antsy at 115 degrees.

Agree with Snakedoctor about the temp gauge, it's the most accurate I've ever had and it actually goes up when you are sitting in stop-start traffic with no airflow through the radiator. All other engines do the same but the driver never knows as the temp gauge sits at halfway until just before overheating. I'd love to know what Jeep does differently - is it just the thermostat?

Cheers,

DM
I agree, used to frighten me until I realised the temp gauge is just being realistic. Towed our van over the ranges coming up to the Murray yesterday and coolant briefly got up to 99 at the slowest point behind a crawling truck. Mostly it's at 90-92 when towing and Tranny mid 80's/90. Ambient temp 29.
I'm always reminded what a beautiful capable tug this is.
Old 11-03-2020
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
i think you mean oil was getting to 115c as water temp is not a digital readout
Yes,sorry that was Oil Temp.
i have had oil temp at 129C towing 2 ton up accomodation hill in SA during 42C with it flat to the board to see how it performed
It got to the top and peaked at 129C Oil and it went into limp mode for about 2 minutes as it cooled down,2 min later it was down to 108C and normal
It must have a over heat protection for Oil,worked well in this test
Old 12-03-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

When towing I have the tranny temp on the screen and drive to that, was pleasantly surprised that with this 8 speed box and engine its not a great effort to keep the temps down, compared to my old Colorado and earlier Grands where it was a balance between tranny temp, coolant and gear selection, now hit the paddles on the long steep hills and then I'm not sure I really need to.

When the high temp drops quickly once the load is taken off then all is good, when it doesn't want to drop quickly then there is a problem, pull over but don't shut down as temps will increase and you will loose the fan assistance.

One thing I have noticed is the plastic engine cover doesn't increase engine temp when solo driving but does contain the heat longer when you park up.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 12-03-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post

One thing I have noticed is the plastic engine cover doesn't increase engine temp when solo driving but does contain the heat longer when you park up.
My 3.8L JK would get so much heat coming through the firewall after towing long distances or a day on the beach that it could get uncomfortable on the feet.

I ended up replacing the solid plastic inner front guards with vented metal ones and that made a hell of a difference.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 12-03-2020
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
My 3.8L JK would get so much heat coming through the firewall after towing long distances or a day on the beach that it could get uncomfortable on the feet.

I ended up replacing the solid plastic inner front guards with vented metal ones and that made a hell of a difference.
My WG I tossed the plastic engine cover, its main claim to fame would be covering up Black Death and heat capture, I toyed with the idea of vents in bonnet or wheel wells as the heat in there was huge...... if I still had access to temp data recorders I would stick one in WK2's engine bay to see what its like.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply