Never had transmission serviced-8 speed? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 106 Times in 76 Posts
Default Never had transmission serviced-8 speed?

Hi all, out of interest, who hasn’t had their 8 speed serviced? And how many k’s has it done? A lot of people say that they must get serviced, but there are a few that say it’s not necessary. Only interested in replies about non-serviced 8 speeds please. Thanks.
Old 22-02-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Not sure why you only want input from those who haven't serviced their box and why that would be of value - but - this is part of what I posted in the "8 speed oil change" topic on here (after I did the job myself at 103K)
"4.5l approx of oil out - darkish in colour - and the four pan magnets had just a coating of greasy metallic sludge. Looked like a happy box, but at 100k it was time for the change."

I'm fully aware an oil change on this box isn't on a Jeep service schedule but not servicing the box and hoping it is OK sounds potentially expensive to me.
Suggest some research into what ZF says.
John.
Old 22-02-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 106 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
Not sure why you only want input from those who haven't serviced their box and why that would be of value - but - this is part of what I posted in the "8 speed oil change" topic on here (after I did the job myself at 103K)
"4.5l approx of oil out - darkish in colour - and the four pan magnets had just a coating of greasy metallic sludge. Looked like a happy box, but at 100k it was time for the change."

I'm fully aware an oil change on this box isn't on a Jeep service schedule but not servicing the box and hoping it is OK sounds potentially expensive to me.
Suggest some research into what ZF says.
John.
Why am I only asking for input from people that haven’t had a service? Because I asked the same question on Facebook just out of interest, and I had 103 responses, all of which called me stupid for not having mine done. It wasn’t what I was asking. I am actually getting mine done in the next month or two. Just waiting for my mechanic to have time to do it, and me having a day where I don’t need to drive. It was just a question I was interested in because I found someone who had their GC for 220,000 k’s without the auto being touched. Thanks.
Old 22-02-2021

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Mine has done 90,000km and hasn't been serviced. Jeep said it's sealed for life and shouldn't need doing but I think anything with oil should be serviced. I have 5 years warranty which includes the gearbox so I'll probably just go with it for now and see how it goes.
Old 23-02-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

If towing 60000 klms max ,otherwise you may be ok at 100000 klms.There is an A and B service schedule for the WK2.Heat is the biggest killer of atf ,sealed for life is a joke.Think along those lines and your pocket will be around $12000.00 for a new auto!
Old 23-02-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Sounds like a sensible question to me, Sealed for life is a cost cutting venture and should be ignored................... ZF advises their 8 speed boxes be serviced between 80,000km to 120,000km if towing certainly earlier is better........ My W5A580 Merc 5 speed in the WG was a sealed for life or service at 1000,000km, this was changed by Jeep and Merc to something like 70K as boxes were chucking it in around the 120k...

While cooking the oil in these 8 speeders shouldn't happen as they run nice and cool , the sludge that builds up in the ports and galleries does choke the flow...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 23-02-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I'm sure they must mean 'for life' as being life of the warranty, how else can 'for life' make sense? All trannys need servicing, ignoring it is madness. At the very least I'd go by the trans manufacturers spec rather than Jeep's.
Post New Thread  Reply