regen informatiom - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-12-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 345 Times in 181 Posts
Default regen informatiom

Interested to find out if my 2014 gc diesel is supposed to have any display
showing when the engine does a regen or burn off of the dpf.
Had the car 2 years and never seen anything!
Only thing i have seen is on odd times the temp gauge rises a short time on long high speed drives.
I do a bit of country driving.
Old 29-12-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The regen info won't show up on the EVIC when everything is working OK. The EVIC will provide an alert when there is something amiss with the regen process ie: high soot level % etc.
Prior to the W58 recall being done on my 2015 diesel I was seeing regens via blue driver about every 650km (highway driving).
Post W58 recall I'm seeing regens about every 280km (highway driving) so the period between regens has shortened.

Cheers
Old 29-12-2021
Established Member

Liked 120 Times in 70 Posts

My 2012 doesn't seem to. Haven't had it very long, but this is one of the first things I've learned about as it's given me a bit of trouble. First time the ETC and MIL lights came on and vehicle stuck in limp mode, dealer said bad exhaust temp sensor and replaced it then forced regen. They told me to be careful not to shut it off in the middle of a regen, but I'm not aware of any way for the car to tell me it's doing one.
Second time was only a couple hundred km later, sitting in one of those ridiculous covid testing lines for hours, same thing again, ETC and MIL and limp mode.
Forced a regen with OBDLink and alfaOBD and been fine since. So short answer, no, I don't think the car will tell you when it's doing one.
Old 29-12-2021
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

You don't need to stress Hookie. My 2012 Overland does them quite regularly from what I can see. Jump in egt and cat temp plus fuel system goes up a solid few litres per hundred while its happening. I've seen them go on the highway, shirt drive to shops, out on tracks going slow, bloody everywhere and I've shut it off heaps of times during and it starts up once it she's warmed up again
Old 29-12-2021
Established Member

Liked 120 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
You don't need to stress Hookie. My 2012 Overland does them quite regularly from what I can see. Jump in egt and cat temp plus fuel system goes up a solid few litres per hundred while its happening. I've seen them go on the highway, shirt drive to shops, out on tracks going slow, bloody everywhere and I've shut it off heaps of times during and it starts up once it she's warmed up again
Not stressed at all now that I can see everything it's doing and can force one whenever I want!
Old 29-12-2021
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,285 Times in 682 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
My 2012 doesn't seem to. Haven't had it very long, but this is one of the first things I've learned about as it's given me a bit of trouble. First time the ETC and MIL lights came on and vehicle stuck in limp mode, dealer said bad exhaust temp sensor and replaced it then forced regen. They told me to be careful not to shut it off in the middle of a regen, but I'm not aware of any way for the car to tell me it's doing one.
Second time was only a couple hundred km later, sitting in one of those ridiculous covid testing lines for hours, same thing again, ETC and MIL and limp mode.
Forced a regen with OBDLink and alfaOBD and been fine since. So short answer, no, I don't think the car will tell you when it's doing one.
Did you do the parked regen (particulate filter regeneration), or the set-up to force it on the 'next drive' (DPF regeneration enabling)? Just curious as I might give mine a go, I have the same device & program that you used.
Old 29-12-2021
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

FWIW...with my 2014 diesel I see a rise in exhaust temp quite regularly, at least every 100kms or so. The exhaust temp moves around a fair bit anyway, but will usually hover around the 300c - 350c mark day to day, then can spike as high as 700c when doing a burn which can last 3 - 4 minutes...then falls back quite rapidly.

That said it doesn't always go as high as 700c, often will rise to around 550c for a couple of minutes then drop back.
The oil temp and water temp generally don't move up at all when the exhaust temp goes way up doing a burn off...

The other day I pulled up in the driveway, the exhaust temp was still around 600c, the better half went behind the car and stood near one of the exhaust pipes...not a good place to stand...she quickly moved as the exhaust gases coming out are very very hot!

I have never seen any EVIC messages either re needing to burn off, it all must be working fine.