KK Cherokee Advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KK Cherokee Advice

Hey Guys,

Wanted to ask a few questions regarding the KK Cherokee 2012 Limited or Jet.
I'm looking into buying a Pearl Black however I've heard alot of negatives about Jeeps as a whole.
I personally love the look of the car and its exactly what I want.
I live outback so I'm looking for a 4x4, not so much for the off-road 4x4 driving but just day to day driving as such.
Ive been to my closest dealership multiple times however they never have them in stock.

1. Should I get the KK Cherokee or wait for this new 2013 model?
2. Apparently repairs are quite expensive as the cherokees are on their way out ( I understand its a luck of the draw)

I would love as much information that can help me convince my partner into letting me purchase one.
Unless people thinks this car is problem after problem. I do not want to make the wrong choice - as I really like this car and may be blind to all the faults which is why asking experienced people may help me get some perspective.
Any personal experiences etc would be welcome also.

Thanks heaps
Jaz
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default KK Limited Jet

I bought a Jet a month ago and I have really enjoyed driving it. I was looking at a range of FWDs including FJs, Pajeros and Prados. The FJ I thought looked fun until I drove it. Leans terribly in corners and is really dark inside at the back. Tiny windows. Pajero was nice but $60k with the same finish as the Jet at $36k. Prado too much for what you get. We have several in the family from a 1998 to a 2013 top of the range so this was a contender and I have often driven all of them. Just too big for my my needs and over priced. Does cause a bit of fun with my brother and my kids who think there is nothing better.

The Jet is really comfortable to drive. It's not too big and I use it as my work ride so I'll do 30000 km in a year. I read everything I could on the KK. Fuel thirsty but very few owners seem to have reliability issues. I have the petrol motor. Takes a lot of fuel to reach the $4000 extra for the diesel. And diesels are expensive to maintain.

To me many of the Jap cars are just boring looking. The KK has an aggro look and looks like a vehicle designed to go off road. And the Jap vehicles are so much more expensive. And I have had a few of them over the years too.

For the price for a Jet it is really good value. It is fully specced and I find the sat nav, telephone system, auto lights etc really great. I have had more expensive vehicles (probably the cheapest car I have had in years) but I have never got so much enjoyment in driving a vehicle.
Mike
Old 10-11-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Have had my Limited CRD for 8-9 months now, have clocked up 11000 trouble free kilometers. Its a pleasure to drive.
Old 10-11-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too am thinking of buying a jet KK Cherokee. Went and looked at one today. Would have preferred a crd but all gone. I too am worried about fuel consumption and the cost of servicing it. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today I was told servicing every 12k klms. Three minor services (around $300) and then a major ($700). The minor servicing can be done anywhere evidently (Midas/Ultratune for around $130 as a comparison).

The fuel mileage may be high, but I live and work locally so only anticipate putting about 5,000 klms a year on it.
Old 10-11-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've had my KK since 2010, and it has been a joy driving it.
At dealerships, I was quoted $1100 for the major service, and $350 for the minor. I don't think these prices are too dissimilar to other 4WDs.
My KK is running on dual fuel now (petrol + lpg) and it sure helps with fuel-consumption and range.

2015 WK2 Overland 5.7 Hemi
2010 KK Ltd 3.7 LPG + CRDStu Lift + Hankook AT - Silver + Chromed
Old 10-11-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My partner is worried the KK will break down on me all the time. As I want it to predominately be a family car. (Doesnt want us stuck on the side of the road in a rural area which is understandable).

So in saying that..What problems have you all encountered? Anything other than general service maintenance.

How do you like the limited extras? The leather seats look amazing. I havent been able to get my hands on one at a dealership to see one in person but the photos online of the Limited and Jets look really good. Everything I want in a car.

Would you say the KK limited or Jet is a bad investment?
Do they have any resell value?

I am SO keen to buy one and with all the good feedback its making him see the good side to the vehicles.

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback, keep them coming

Jaz
Post New Thread  Reply