mechanical help needed for wifes KK - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Will do. Naught replies so far. I'll call this week if needs be.
I guess it also depends on which 4.7lt model it is. The 4.7lt that only gives and extra 15 KW on the 3.7lt its not worth while.The HO version or the Corsair ffv4.7lt L would give it a big enough power increase to warrant the swap depending on the cost. But do they fit? If the whole drive train needs improved it wouldn't be worth it.

Bit of power detail in this link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chry...werTech_engine
Old 24-01-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default mechanical help needed for wifes KK

I'm not sure the 3.7 gearbox would take the extra torque!! Doesn't the wk use the same box as in my CRD ?

What about a CRD swap out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24-01-2017
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
Default mechanical help needed for wifes KK

I'm surprised we haven't seen this done to a KK in the US already!? Here's an interesting training video: youtube.com/watch?v=BOx191b_u0c

How cool is this [emoji39] youtube.com/watch?v=C02fCXvs0Go

Old 24-01-2017
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

I think we need to change the name of this thread. [emoji23]

Old 24-01-2017
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadcat View Post
Could they not try a high pressure water hose to blast the debris out?

Have you looked in the radiator to see if any parts are in there?
I believe this has been tried by the mechanic with I think a blower vac? Is it possible the impeller fragmented and has made it to the radiator core?

I don't think I cooked the motor, why would it still over heat if the heads are still sealed?

Should I really look at changing the motor over if it may not be the problem?

Also seeing the thread is hijacked, is there a list of what is reasonably compatible with the KK as far as a different motor? I may have read somewhere the dodge rams motor might be?
Old 24-01-2017
I just registered

https://www.powernationtv.com/episod...-v6-to-v8-swap

I dont know how this converts to a KK but heh makes me think....
Old 26-01-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CibbyDoc View Post
I'm not sure the 3.7 gearbox would take the extra torque!! Doesn't the wk use the same box as in my CRD ?

What about a CRD swap out?

Seems it does.
Five speeds: the 545RFE transmission

In 2001, with programming changes and an extra, taller overdrive ratio, the 545RFE was born. With the change to overdrive, cruising at 70 miles per hour (110 km/h) with a standard axle ratio would yield 2000 rpm at the engine, about 200 rpm less than the 45RFE, cutting fuel use and noise. Now, it had six forward speeds — again, one reserved for kickdowns.

As to the question of why the 545RFE has two overdrive gears that are so close to each other, engineer Bob Sheaves noted that size is an issue with planetary gears; most likely, the top 0.67:1 ratio gear was chosen because that was the largest one that could fit without making the transmission too large for the vehicles it was in.

When towing (in some vehicles), a “Tow/Haul” mode made faster shifts to cut wear on the transmission, and reduced gear searching by holding lower gears longer, also choosing lower gears when going downhill to increase engine braking.

In 2006, Chrysler claimed that the transmission had been “refined for higher-quality shifts;” it was strong enough to give the Jeep Commander and Grand Cherokee class-leading towing capacity of 7,200 lbs. The changes included a redesigned solenoid for quieter shifting (ending “solenoid clatter”), and a turbine damper to cut noise and vibration from the torque converter.

545RFE automatic

Used in Chrysler's fleet of rear-wheel drive trucks, including the Jeep Liberty, Dodge Ram, Dodge Dakota, Dodge Durango, and Jeep Commander, the computer controlled 545RFE was kept in a shiny, one-piece die-cast aluminum casing. Ribs in the case increased torsional rigidity. An internal lubricant filter was for the main sump pan, and an external filter was for the pump return. It took 6.2 liters (6.6 quarters) of ATF+4 fluid; early units could take ATF+3.

Critics sometimes complain about the choice of gear ratios, which is aimed at providing reserve torque. The transmission was well suited for the large torque band of the Hemi V8, 3.7 V6, 4.7 V8, and VM 2.8 diesel.

In 2009, the computer was programmed to let drivers select the highest gear the transmission would shift to, for easier towing, hill climbing, and hill descent.
Post New Thread  Reply