Fan/hub upgrade?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default Fan/hub upgrade??

is anyone using an upgraded fan hub or fan? Need to replace my fan and thought I remember someone saying there was a decent upgrade. And also a fan upgrade with more blades?
Old 11-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

depends on what year your jeep is as the viscous clutch was changed from a bolt on style to a single nut attachment

for me I replaced the fan from a five blade to a seven blade as the latter shifts more cubic metres of air at the same rpm and also upgraded the clutch to a severe duty type

the upgraded clutch just idles when temperatures are normal, but when heat rises and it activates it locks nearly solid

specs for my model being Hayden 2791
HAYDEN FAN CLUTCH -- Severe-Duty Thermal Design, Reverse Rotation, 6.45 in. Overall Diameter, M30x1.5 Right Pilot Diameter, 1.25 in. Fan Mount Height, 3.25 in. Fan Bolt Circle, 5/16-18 Hole 4 Bolt And Nut Threads, Turns The Fan 80-90% Of The Shaft Speed When Engaged And 20-30% When Disengaged, Used With 2-1/2 in. Deeper Pitch Fans, Features Land And Groove Design With Up To 72 Square Inch Of Working Area, Larger Working Surface Provides Cooler Running And Longer Life Expectancy, And Thicker Body And Deep Finned Faceplate Dissipate More Heat, Can Be Used In Place Of Many Heavy-Duty Clutches, With Hayden's Limited 5-Year Warranty

the standard Hayden clutch for a 2005 model Wrangler is a 2771 which has the same key dimensions as the extreme duty 2791 so will fit ok

I upgraded many years ago and never have an overheat problem.

also remember the fan is only relevant when you are moving at low speed or idling for long periods in hot weather, that when mine locks up and you can clearly hear the fan roar
Old 11-01-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Right thanks for that, mine is an 05 as well. What is the fan off?
Old 12-01-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

the fan is a Daimler Chrysler part and was a result of an over heat problem occurring on some Jeep Wranglers

dont know if the fan is still available, but I ordered one in thru the dealer and it was remarkably cheap at the time and useda Hayden clutch as above

below are some of the details off the TSB

and make sure the 7 blade fan is matched to a severe duty fan clutch.

DC Part Number 55037650AA Fan, Cooling, 7 blade $36

DC Part Number 05066177AA Clutch, Fan Drive $194

2001 Jeep Truck Wrangler L6-242 4.0L VIN S SFI

Temperature/Check Gauges Light ON

Engine - High Temperature/Check Gauges Light ON

TSB NUMBER: 07-004-01 REV A

DATE: Dec. 14, 2001
THIS BULLETIN SUPERCEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 07-004-01, DATED JULY 20, 2001.

SUBJECT:
High Engine Temperatures Due To Extended In-Gear Idling In Hot Ambient Temperatures

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacement of the cooling fan and fan drive. Certain 2000 M.Y. Wranglers will also require selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (2000 TJ - Calibration Level Cal15A).

MODELS:
2000 - 2001 (TJ) Wrangler
NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO WRANGLERS EQUIPPED WITH A 4.0L (ERH)
ENGINE AND A 32RH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (DGG).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Engine coolant temperatures may rise high enough to cause the Check Gauges light to illuminate, indicating high engine coolant temperature. This condition is likely to happen after extended periods of idling, with the transmission in Drive, the air conditioning on, and with ambient temperatures greater than 35°C. (95°F.). If the transmission is placed in the Park or Neutral positions, or if the vehicle is driven, then the engine temperatures will decrease.

DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURES:

NOTE : REFER THE CUSTOMER TO THE RESPECTIVE 2000 OR 2001 JEEP
WRANGLER OWNER'S MANUAL AND TO THE SECTION TITLED: WHAT TO DO IN EMERGENCIES –

IF YOUR ENGINE OVERHEATS. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE PROPER PROCEDURES ARE FOLLOWED TO PREVENT AN ENGINE OVERHEAT CONDITION.

NOTE :INFORM THE CUSTOMER THAT THE REVISED FAN AND FAN DRIVE WILL CREATE HIGHER SOUND LEVELS FOR A MINUTE OR SO AFTER A COLD ENGINE START, AND DURING HIGH ENGINE TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS.

**THE FAN WILL RUN MORE OFTEN BECAUSE THE FAN CLUTCH WILL NOW ENGAGE AT LOWER TEMPERATURES.**

PARTS REQUIRED:
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NOTE :THE MDS2 AND DRB III(R) ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM PART OF THIS
REPAIR. WHEN USING THE MDS2 AND THE DRB III(R), THE SYSTEM MUST BE
OPERATING AT CIS CD 2064 OR HIGHER.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Verify that the cooling system is in good working condition.

2. Verify that the engine coolant mixture contains the proper amount of antifreeze.

3. If the customer complains of the above condition, and the vehicle is a 2000 Wrangler with PCM software that is earlier (lower or less) than the calibration listed above, perform the complete Repair Procedure.

4. If the customer complains of the above condition, and the vehicle is either a 2001 Wrangler or it is a 2000 Wrangler with PCM software already at calibration level 15A or later, then perform only Step 1 of the Repair Procedure (replace only the fan and fan drive).

Verify the current PCM software calibration level (2000 Wrangler only). If the
2000 Wrangler PCM software calibration level is earlier (less or lower) than 2000 TJ - Calibration Level 15A, then proceed with steps 2 though 4.

NOTE : THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.

1. Replace the cooling fan and viscous fan drive. Refer to the appropriate Wrangler Service Manual, Section 7 - Cooling Engine, for detailed fan and fan drive removal and installation instructions. The Service Manual procedures may be found on the MDS2.

2. Reprogram the PCM using the MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System) and DRBIII(R) (Scan Tool).

3. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update Label" p/n04669020 (Fig. 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.

4. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086 and attach the label near the VECI label (Fig. 2).

the soft ware upgrade is not necessary for later models. my understanding that models fro late 2000 on had the software update. apparently the idle rpm increases if coolant temperature reaches a certain set point in order to get more flow thru the radiator, but why they didnt make the 7 blade fan standard is a mystery
Old 14-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Does the serve duty lock up at lower temps?

Im a 2003 on 33s, auto, 4.88s wiht a big f*(k off tranny cooler. On the 35+ deg days crawling up wambat range or billy goats everything gets 105 before kicking in (tranny temp wise). While still safe, i'd like her to kick in a little earlier, and stay on longer.

Might see if I cannot locate a 7 blade and get one. Thanks mate.
Old 18-01-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Try the Ford Explorer Fan clutch setup

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...06-tj-1237538/
Post New Thread  Reply