MJOC are coming to Tassie. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Australian Club Scene > Tasmanian Jeep Owners Club
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default MJOC are coming to Tassie.

My name is Rohan and I am the operations manager of the Melbourne Jeep Owners Club. Me, the president, scretary and a couple of other members are doing a two week tassie trip starting just after chrissy and were hoping to catch up with a few locals to get some advice on where to head. Of course we will return the favour when you hop on the boat to come to the 2010 Jamboree!

Well anyway it would be great to just have a chat and possibly get some local knowledge or even a fearless leader for the day.

We would probably be chasing some of the tougher stuff, though not exclusively, I hear the west coast can be fairly entertaining.

Hope to hear back shortly.

Rohan Dodd
operations@mjoc.org.au
operations@mjoc.org.au

Last edited by dahfred; 20-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 25-12-2009
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahfred View Post
My name is Rohan and I am the operations manager of the Melbourne Jeep Owners Club. Me, the president, scretary and a couple of other members are doing a two week tassie trip starting just after chrissy and were hoping to catch up with a few locals to get some advice on where to head. Of course we will return the favour when you hop on the boat to come to the 2010 Jamboree!

Well anyway it would be great to just have a chat and possibly get some local knowledge or even a fearless leader for the day.

We would probably be chasing some of the tougher stuff, though not exclusively, I hear the west coast can be fairly entertaining.

Hope to hear back shortly.

Rohan Dodd
operations@mjoc.org.au
waiting on your itinerary ,Rohan
WJ Grand
Old 25-12-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like we have a pretty full itenary, bit of a mixture of sight seeing and off roading. Would be good to catch up with any Tassie 4wders, especially up in the NE. Cheers Dan

Monday 28/12/2009 Arrive in Devonport, travel to Arthur's River via the Nut, Dismal Swamp
Accommodation: Arthur River Cabin Park, Ph 03 6457 1212

Tuesday 29/12/2009 4wding Pieman River to Sandy Cape (4WDing)
Accommodation: Arthur River Cabin Park

Wednesday 30/12/2009 Travel to Cradle Mountain, Walk around the lake and night drive
Accommodation: Lemonthyme Lodge, Ph 03 6492 1112

Thursday 31/12/2009 Travel to Strahan via Montazuma's Falls and Zeehan (4WDing)
Accommodation: Anchor Down Cottages, Ph 03 6471 7006

Friday 1/01/2010 River Cruise / Scenic Railway etc
Accommodation: Anchor Down Cottages

Saturday 2/01/2010 Beach Driving / Quad bikes (4WDing)
Accommodation: Anchor Down Cottages

Sunday 3/01/2010 Travel visit waterfalls (4WDing outside of Queenstown)
Accommodation: Hobart TBC

Monday 4/01/2010 Hasting Caves / Mount Wellington (4WDing)

Tuesday 5/01/2010 Cadbury Factory / Cascade Brewery or whatever you like

Wednesday 6/01/2010 Port Arthur
Accommodation: Port Arthur Caravan Park, Ph 03 6250 2340

Thursday 7/01/2010 Bay of Fires (4WDing)
Accommodation: St Helens The Bayside Inn, Ph 03 6376 1466

Friday 8/01/2010 NE Coast (4WDing)
Accommodation: St Helens The Bayside Inn, Ph 03 6376 1466

Saturday 9/01/2010 Devonport - Spirit of Tasmania Night Sailing
Old 25-12-2009
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

seems like you have it all sorted and it looks like a pretty tight schedule Dan .
if you are near Launceston ,give me a call on 63442502 /0417012066 for a chat and possible bbq ,if time permits .
saturday arvo before leaving for Dport ????
Cheers Brian (tassiecj6)
WJ Grand
Old 25-12-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

On your way to Port Arthur, check out Eaglehawk Lookout (turnoff about 2kms after Eagle Hawk Neck - lookout down the Tasman) ... and also Fortesque Bay is damn nice. Gravel road stuff only ....

When at Port Arthur make sure you check out Crescent Bay (bit of a walk once parked but great...). Marion Bay is also stunning.

I should be at our Shack at Primrose Sands on the 6th (kinda on the way to Port Arthur)... call me 0405817000 on the way through if you want a cuppa or feed.

Cheers
Chumby (Martin)
Old 25-12-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like you've got a great trip planned there.
Having lived on the N.W. Coast of Tas for 20+ years, I miss it so much this time of year. Esspecially as all my mates are wheelin on the west coast and ringing me every day to tell me what I'm missing out on!

When you head to Arthur River and further down the west coast toward the Pieman you'll come across quick-sand and fairly fast flowing rivers to cross on the Sandy Cape beach (13k's long). Make sure you cross the rivers low (near te sea) not up high. If there is local guys about, take their advise. If I had a dollar for every vehicle thats been lost down there! There is on way in, and one way out. No support, no tow trucks. You'll never get to the Pieman from Arthur River and back in one day. From the Interview River to the Pieman is very extreme. Really, you prob shouldn't tackle that part. Be sure to get a "permit" from the parks office a Arthur River. Its free, but if your caught without it- big fine! The permit also states that no travel is allowed past the Interview, although they will never catch you that far down!

Have an awsome time in Tassie, I'll be heading over there this time next year for a wheel. Planning on doing the Jambo, then sending the Jeep to Tas on the Spirit then flying back to WA until early December. Then Fly back to Tas to "tie the knot!" and of course, wheel the west coast!

Once again, have a great time, safe travels and merry xmas!
Old 26-12-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Theres some good (but not hard) tracks around Mount wellington, I think white timber is closed at the moment for logging. I would say give me a ring when your down this way, but l think l be still on bruny island.