WK2: Numb Thumbs Build up - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default WK2: Numb Thumbs Build up

I picked up my 2013 Laredo CRD on February 31, 2013. (Well spotted
markg, it was January 31st!)

White Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD
with
QuadraLift air suspension
Offroad Adventure Pack II
which includes
QuadraDrive II 4WD system
Off road bash plates
Rear electronic lesser slip differential
18 x 8 polished wheels (which are standard on the Laredo anyway...)

I also got:

Front Recovery Point - passenger side and hidden behind the pull out panel on the front air dam
Redarc Electric Brake Controller
Mopar Tow Hitch Receiver and Tow Hitch with wiring

The first thing I did was drive to a tyre dealer and trade in the new passenger construction tyres for Light Truck All Terrains. The brocures and web site both said th car was fitted with Khumo Solus KL21 tyres. When I looked at my car, it had 4 x Michelin tyres fitted and a Khumo on the steel spare.

I had fitted Bridgestone D697 LT265/60R18's to all five rims.

Next I managed to get a factory alloy rim with a Khumo P265/60R18 tyre and a pressure sensor already fitted. I went back to the tyre dealer and had the Bridgestone on the steel rim and the Khumo on the alloy rim swapped.

So now I have 5 alloy rims with Bridgestone D697's and a steel rim with a Khumo as a second spare.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

Last edited by Numb Thumbs; 15-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Next came wiring for our camper trailer, a VistaRV Crossover.

I had two Anderson plugs fitted, one to the rear with a weatherproof cover and one inside the rear of the vehicle to charge a second battery I will fit there for trips - more later...

While I was there I decided to get a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 electric brake controller fitted as I do not like the Redarc one. The Redarc is a very primitive controller...

So now I am ready to tow the camper trailer next weekend, which I am really looking forward to.

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

PS I also fitted some rubber, 4WD type floor mats which, as you can see above, are already pulling their weight!

Last edited by Numb Thumbs; 09-02-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Next will be the UHF. I have ordered a Uniden UH7760 NB and and a GME AE4018 K3 antenna to go with it.

With some very careful bending I have managed to get a Z bracket to fit at the windscreen end of the bonnet on the passenger side - I am bracing myself for the comments from SWMBO...

My plan is to fit the radio inside the compartment in front of the gear lever and take power from the cigarette lighter socket inside there. Thanks Scarps and Yoda42. I will plug in an adapter with 2 x USB sockets and 2 x cig sockets so I can plug the radio into one and have a spare plus have the two USB sockets for charging/powering a GPS and phone.

The radio and antenna are on their way from Perth, probably by camel, but as soon as they arrive I shall begin finding the spare grommet and getting the antenna wire into the space in front of the gear lever.

Ah, the fun never stops!

Then, fitting out the rear...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

That where I had my installers put my antenna and the radio body is velcroed to the carpet under the drivers seat. The mic (which has the controls) is in the centre console.
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Roachy

Where did you pull power for the radio from?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

The power came from the centre console - I think. As I didn't have time to do it myself I had a it professionally installed and that's where they told me they picked the power up. It is set up to turn off when accessories are turned off so I am assuming it was cut into the power in the centre console as it is a 'keyed' supply.
Old 09-02-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I assume the same cig lighter.

The guy who installed the Anderson plugs and Tekonsha pulled half the car apart to do the wiring. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch to see how he did it!

The gas tank for the air suspension is huge - it runs the width of the car just behind the back seat!

I might see if I can replace the old Redarc controller knob with a switch for the compressor I plan to put the compressor and 9 litre pressure tank next to the fridge in the back...

Cheers
Numb Thumbs

Last edited by Numb Thumbs; 10-02-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply