#1 injector needed. Anyone? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2021
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Check out my Ride(s)
Default #1 injector needed. Anyone?

Hi all the usual trouble with diesel, injector one.
Has 112 ohms resistance but the old girl struggles to get over 80km/h on the highway. Good upto 2000 rpm.Has anyone got a dead #1 injector they are happy to part with? I'll have a go at rewinding but can't afford to have it off the road for too long. Cheers all.
Old 07-08-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

If your measurement is correct than more likely the injector is ok.
Maybe look for broken or lose injector wire harness all the way to PCM .
Also check the turbo actuator, turbo boost pressure , intercooler and hoses for leaks/cracks and the MAF sensor . EGR valve is worth looking at too but that would not stop the engine to rev up over 2000 rpm.
The link bellow will help you to conclude if needle sensor in injector 1 works or not and also show the measurement of wire loom all the way to PCM.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=154725

Just noticed your other post where you mention IP leak. Never had any pump related issues but I think you have to have a minim rail pressure (don't know what min. PSI would need to be) but if there is a fuel leak than maybe check this avenue too and see if there is any air leak getting in the fuel system .

Cheers Andrei

Last edited by amlav; 07-08-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2021
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Hi Andrei
I checked the wires post connection and they reed the same resistance to I'm concluding the connection is ok (sewing pins through cable insulation/ multimeter).
I checked the voltage coming out of the connection when running and got 12.55V(so thought no cable brakes)
I have vise gripped closed the hose to wastegate (no change)
have run with @1 injector lead off (drives the same)

will rev freely drive in 1st gear through ok, then you notice 2,gear power fade after 2k rpm then dramatic die after 2k in 3rd and struggle to get to 80km/h in 4th.

What's the best way to check MAF?
I bought 3mm audio connection to start oscillo tests.

will also replace the diesel filter and primer assembly as its useless and leaks. (I hope removing the water trap leads don't give more alarms)
Old 08-08-2021
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Currently, the key test gives 12 and 55 codes. (battery disconnected recently, and 55 is end of test? )

I have removed the battery and touched battery cables together for 30 seconds and turned lights on, to clear limp mode and get no change.

anyone else have ideas?

I thought 112ohms would be ok too so I was hoping not to dismantle it would rather start on a known dead one. no loss if it fails that way.

thanks all.
Old 08-08-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 90 Posts

The turbo also kicks in at around 2000 rpm. (just to make it more confusing)
Check if the turbo actuator/vastegate has an unrestricted movement or hoses are secure.

Never the less if you are able to visualize the signal coming of the injector 1 and compare the resistance value from sensor connector to PCM as in the link that i've sent you than definetly nothing wrong with sensor and wiring to PCM.
It is the simplest way to check as in the link.

The MAF sensor next to air filter box doesn't restricts to much the power . If you just unscrew the Maf holder from the plastic pipe and just spray it with MAF cleaner it should be ok. Make sure you don't touch the litle ceramic tip inside it because is very fragile and can just break.(expensive to replace).

If no 1 ok than make sure there is no air leak in the fuel system than check turbo . That is pretty much i can think of.

There is another older tread that op had similar issue to yours.
Do a search for the tread bellow.
< XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode? > or just type croitoru in the forum search bar and should take you there .
About 10 pages . Solution to his problem is on page 9 I think
Cheers

Last edited by amlav; 08-08-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 19-08-2021
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Guys.

The old girl is going again. no idea what was playing up with No 1. as I drove into town in limp mode, and back out and it was heaps better, changed nothing between town and back. now reves freely past 2000rpm
I do think it is down a little in power as it seemed to struggle on the highway with an empty trailer. But I had not done much towing with it before the welch plugs leaked and I pulled her heads off.

Diesel leaks are fixed starts easy does seem to have a lot of air from the breather more than most engines I've worked on but all seemed good when heads were off.

maybe it is still in 10 % limp mode it's hard to tell.
cheers
Post New Thread  Reply